Black People : 9 Year Old Commits Suicide: 'Wanted to Die' Because Brother Was Born

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Apr 9, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    9 Year Old Commits Suicide: 'Wanted to Die' Because Brother Was Born

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Facebook)
    Justice Williams, 9, committed suicide after the birth of her half-brother.

By Sami K. Martin , Christian Post Contributor
    April 9, 2013|7:50 am
    A 9-year-old girl was found dead in the bathroom of her home on Sunday evening, and her parents fear that jealousy of a new sibling caused the girl to take drastic measures.

Tamiqua Torres, the girl's mother, told the New York Daily News that her daughter, Justice, had told family members she "wanted to die" when she learned her mother was pregnant for the second time. Torres had been separated from Justice's father and had remarried before learning of the pregnancy.
    Torres immediately sought counseling for her daughter, and those who knew her said it seemed Justice was making progress and accepting the pregnancy. Yet all was not well, and Justice still suffered from extreme jealousy of her new brother, even after he was born.
    "We were as happy as happy could be until one day my then 8-year-old woke up and decided that she wasn't exactly thrilled about being a Big Sister," Torres posted on her blog, which has since been taken down. "I mean, who could blame her? She spent the last 8 years all to herself, being spoiled by everyone, only having to share while in school."
    "Fast forward to August when he [the new baby] arrived, and she was happy and reassured that although her world has forever changed she loves him more than she thought she would," Torres wrote. "The road my family and I traveled to get where we are now was not smooth. We faced many road bumps but overcame them as a stronger family unit than I imagined us to be."
    Unfortunately, Justice was not well and less than one year later, committed suicide by hanging herself from the shower. Torres was the one to find her daughter's body and tried to save her.

Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/9-year-old-commits-suicide-wanted-to-die-because-brother-was-born-93503/#lBBmghyty0FueIby.99

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    My God, how sad. My heart aches for this mother and family.

And the mental and emotional pain that child was suffering to choose suicide just rocks me to my soul.

Praying for this family's healing and peace.

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    This is surely a tragic thing, a baby taking her own life, and over something many take as a delightful and joyous occasion. The times certainly are worsening, and with each passing day it seems. If such young ones are finding it hard to live in situations that aren't supposed to be bad, how do people conclude nothing is wrong with this world?

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    i feel bad for the parents and her family but something in me just can't feel bad for justice...
    if killing urself because u have a brother was ur only option then see u next lifetime...

one love
    khasm

5. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I for the life of me cannot figure out what has happened to children, to where life has become so unbearable to them.
    You know, I thank God I grew up when I did.

6. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    Society has made people as whole, young and old, crazy.
    I think people have a warped sense of reality.

But I think this child may have more deeper issues than just a baby brother being born.
    It breaks my heart when I hear of such children killing themselves.

There is a woman who works for my dad whose son also killed himself at a very young age.
    I, myself, know of a kid when I was in middle school, but he was in elementary, who killed himself when he was 11.

It really touches home for me because my daughter is 9...and if she would have done this I don't know how I would survive myself....I probably would just die from heartbreak.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Really? You have no compassion for a 9 y/o who thought death was preferable to living?

Obviously this child had mental and emotional sufferings. She was the only child for 8 years and thought/felt she was left out/un-loved/ignored with a new sibling.

Yes, from the outside-looking-in, this may appear like solely a selfish mindset; but this child had been the center of attention all her life....her mother and father were separated and then divorced.

Then, her mother re-marries..new step-father.

So, first, this child is dealing with her parents not being together....Then, there's a different man in her life, taking her mother's attention and time.

Then, another child comes into the family, so that's even more of her mother's attention directed away from her.

Mentally and emotionally, that's a lot for a young child to deal with.

Some children in these circumstances start to act-out in school and/or home.....Sudden behavioral and/or academic changes are a sure sign of something wrong somewhere.

But, like adults, children can also internalize their feelings....become uncharacteristically quiet or withdrawn.....signs of depression.

Sadly, this mother thought everything was okay with Justice; but it wasn't. Yes, she took steps to help Justice with her feelings and the new changes in her life.

But, obviously, Justice needed more help.

This child was depressed.

8. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    Nicely stated. You've laid it out plainer than some could see.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    nope i stand by my comments...
    it is good that she did not pass along this same mental illness to future generations...
    kids nowadays are more knowledgeable about the world than they have ever been...
    so like i said...if she felt that was her only option then peace...

we are not talking about a kid that has gotten bullied or a kid with a bad home life...
    we are talking about a 9 year old who killed herself over jealousy...big difference on the compassion - o- meter....

one love
    khasm

10. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,324
    Well, that's sorta simplifying it. She was a child afflicted, more than jealousy being there but likely fear of rejection and a drop of her self-esteem. She might have felt less loved, and thought she was "old news". She was 9 years old, so though it may sound unreasonable, these could have been her thoughts, and she might have thought she was doing her family better.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 9 year old commits suicide