Black People : 9 of CR's "10 Least-Reliable Cars" from America.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Oct 30, 2012.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    1. Ford Explorer (V6, 4WD)
    2. Ford Focus (hatchback)*
    3. Jaguar XF*
    4. Mini Cooper Countryman
    5. Ford Explorer (V6, 2WD)
    6. Lincoln MKX
    7. Ram 2500 (turbodiesel)
    8. Jaguar XJ*
    9. Lincoln MKT*
    10. Ford Flex EcoBoost

While the TOP Ten small cars, hatchbacks and family cars are all from Japan, Korea and Germany. It's also worth nothing that two of the three countries whose vehicles make up the top 10 in those three categories scored significantly higher in Math and Science according to the OECD's World Education Ranking...

2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    No one should be surprised by this. The U.S. of A. is playing catch up in automobile market because of, but not solely on, the price per barrel of oil and gas prices. With these major factors they are finally trying to up their game and a bunch of factors that could spin off into other threads or threads could already exist within this forum contributed to this. One, namely unions, which I recall was a thread that was hotly debated within this forum.

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace houserunner,

How do the price per barrel of oil and gas prices contribute to bad quality in American cars?
    Gas prices are higher in Japan than they are in the U.S. so why aren't their cars Crappy?
    And what about the Foreign cars made right here in the U.S? Those companies are subject to the same factors as American companies but the quality-level is significantly higher... unions and all.. high healthcare costs and all..

4. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I think you are missing my point here. I view quality on all levels, and that involves fuel efficiency. For many years the US has had the "bigger, badder, faster" mentality and did not focus on fuel economy. Even when the rest of the world was getting hit with higher gas prices yet the US had relatively cheap gas prices, that continued to fuel (pardon the pun) our (our meaning the US of A) nonchalant attitude towards fuel efficiency. Now we are playing catch up on that part of the puzzle. I already alluded to other parts of the puzzle, but I hope that the part about gas I commented on is a little bit more clear on what I was trying to get across.

Even when the price of gas in Japan was more, their vehicles historically gained more miles to their respective buck. My main point being is that American car companies are playing catch up when America could have excelled in the market instead of stifling innovation and now people are crying about the price of gas.

I know I took this off tangent a little, but I felt it was relevant to the discussion.

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

I understand what you're saying. I just think it sweeps very many things under a great rug.
    Because it doesn't account for the dynamic of foreign vehicles built by american workers on american soil in the same exact economic climate having dramatically better quality. And I'm using the Consumer Reports survey as metric for quality.

So the question becomes: Why are American cars made by unionized workers in america of lower quality than Foreign cars made by unionized workers in america?

Not that you have to answer it.. but the industry needs to find an answer to that question if the Auto industry is ever going to recover.