Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : 8 years old Princess and Her Hair..........

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by beautifulblkw, Jan 21, 2008.

1. beautifulblkw

beautifulblkw Well-Known Member MEMBER

emergency medical tec. (EMT-B)
    Ratings:
    +18
    My Queens and Kings

I have been wearing my hair natural for 2years. I have always been around ppl who wear their hair naturally. I have to be honest and say that for a long time ( while in the world) I would not dare lock my hair. In recent time my 8 year old Princess has asked over and over to lock her hair , which i did.

My question to the family is how do I address the negative views ppl will and have put on her.
    EX.1- Your hair is to good for that
    2- how are you going to go on her prom
    3- you want your hair like that
    4- but you can do so much with out them in your hair
    5- are you Jamaican (which is not negative in my eyes)

remember she is 8 years old and these things have been said to her not me

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    firstly, how does your daughter feel about it? That's the only question with value.
    We, as parents, carry baggage.. we shouldnt pass it on if we can help it.

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    that's a mighty big IF...

How do you even KNOW how ...when you've learned the same things....that who you were by nature [naturally] was "bad", "not good enough", "not r[wh]ite" etc".....

Acknowledging FEELINGS is CRUCIAL...(especially for M.E. as our ability to FEEL is what differentiates us from the european)...yet....and at the same time.....How does the parent teach/support the child with expression of FEELINGS when they have never been taught:?:

A hallmark of symptom of emotional trauma is the inability to adequately and appropriately identify and express FEELINGS.....this is why addictive behaviors become so attractive and work.....to FEEL....different!

:hearts2:

4. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sister Beautiful

Yes addressing it it Numero Uno!!!!
    She definitely needs to tell you how she fels about all of this
    But first of!!!!!!
    They are jealous of her hair!!! and want her to perm it...so the chemicals can damage it....TELL HER THAT!!!!!
    They just say that to make her feel bad about her decision to be different and a natural person

2. BE QUIET!!!! I am 8 yrs YOUNG Prom ain't for another 10 YRS!!!!!!!!
    Let Me Live and STOP trying to raise me (THAT IS WHAT MY MOTHER IS THERE FOR.....And She ISN'T Rushing ME!)
    But if you wanna speak on it!!!!! I will be even more unique with Dread Locks in my hair....and I will still be able to put any style I want in it!

3. DUH! I ASKED FOR IT!

4. And I can Do so much more WITH Them!!!

5. This is a question only used to down grade the person and credibility....because if the answer is no..they feel better about them selves
    if the answer is yes...Then it's "of Course"

Just hush...My heritage is my business!

And THATS THAT!

~Bless Sister Beautiful~

I hope I helped a Bit
    :)

5. transform

transform Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2

6. beautifulblkw

beautifulblkw Well-Known Member MEMBER

emergency medical tec. (EMT-B)
    Ratings:
    +18
    Peace and blessings
    thank you all for your wonderful feedback. I have been talking to my daughter about these issues. I even talked about what ppl would/could say before hand so she was really prepared. She has already had to stand her position and has done it well. just wanted to know how others would deal with things of this nature. Children are face with so much Judgment it is hard to always know if you are giving them all they need to stand thier ground in this world......

:luv: Much luv

7. FASN8N1

FASN8N1 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    How about this....You all laugh at me because I'm different,but I laugh at you because your all he same.Bless you and your daughter sister.

I myself am getting ready to start a journey as far as letting my hair grow dread locks.I've been shaving my hair for about 10 years.It is not just a fashion statement.It is a spiritual journey.

Fasn8n1

8. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    First let me stress that we don't and never have labled our natural hair as being dreadful!! ..
    We simply, proudly and divinely have "African locs"...which is the only and proper name for our divine locs.
    The european took one look at our locs and stated: "They are dreadful looking" they look like "dreadlocs" ...
    And as with most things they say and do, we took the divine name of "African" ..replaced it with "dread" ...and ran with it.
    Teach your daughter that as her locs grow, so does her strength and consciousness. Allow yourself and your daughter to read and learn all about the divinety of "Policits of Hair" ...also check out "Hair locs"