Health and Wellness : 8 Surprisingly Poisonous Foods We Eat

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Health,

... One fact often overlooked when eating uncooked vegetables, the outer membrane, cellulose, must be broken:

I (and some family members) have a medical condition that affects the ability to digest cellulose, so we have to avoid most fresh fruits and vegetables. We have found that cooking vegetables helps a bit, and something that requires a long cooking time (like a stew or soup) helps more.
    Basically I am wondering if there are other ways besides cooking to break down the cellulose of vegetables and fruits and make them easier to digest?
    http://cooking.stackexchange.com/qu...-to-reduce-cellulose-in-vegetables-and-fruits

HIDE THUMBNAILS

8 Surprisingly Poisonous Foods We Eat

By Melissa Breyer, Mother Nature Network

One of the great perks of being around during this phase of human history is that we seem to have a relatively good understanding of food. Which doesn't mean that we are necessarily heading in a great direction (junk food and its ilk seem rather self-destructive to the species), but through trial and error, we have a lot of wisdom behind us. We know that steaming the bud of an otherwise intimidating thistle flower yields a delicious cooked artichoke and that beyond the menacing claw of a lobster awaits yet another delicacy.

We can also thank our foodie forefathers for discovering the things that can kill us. To those who discovered that belladonna and hemlock should not be eaten: we salute you. But we're a funny bunch. Although our most basic instinct is for survival, we continue to eat poisonous things, or parts of them at least. If you doubt it, consider the following foods.

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/8-sur...s-eat-slideshow/-photo-2644973-192600700.html

Peace In,

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I love my potatoes and tomatoes and my almonds,.. all the other stuff listed, nah I don't fool with those.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074

Good for you, stay on top of it:)