Jails / Prisons : 75% of female prisoners are black!

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by panafrica, Nov 10, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    According to a report by blackamericaweb.com 75% of America's female prisoners are black! If this report is true, and I have little reason to believe that it isn't: Recent discussions of the black male's criminal nature, and more black men going to prison than college, are no longer an issue for our community. The prison population has officially no longer become a problem of the black male, it now affects the black woman in equal numbers. Indeed our community is under attack from the US Justice System, and we need to examine the effects that racism plays in the sentencing of our people (male & female). Not only do we need to examine the effects of racism in the sentencing of our people, this must be #1 on our political agenda.

In addition, we also need to stop condemning our brothers & sisters who are imprisoned, or who have been imprisoned before. Although many deserved to be there, all of them do not. Furthermore it is a proven fact that blacks are imprisoned for "criminal violations" that whites receive probation for. Therefore we do no service for our community by condemning them. Our energies are better spent by trying to fight a racist justice system that sends black people to jail for violations that other races receive no time for! Ultimately this report also shows how pointless the "battle of the sexes" is in our community. More than any other community black men & women face the same issues! We need to stop finger pointing and join together in every aspect!

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/prisoners1108

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't find this hard we as blacks are victimize by the system
    those few who are clean do point fingers and low the bruthas & sistas

women are on a rise faster then anyone know today we have over 90
    men jailed as well near 70 women as to conviction of a rate 80% of those
    jailed with hard core sentencing the unjustical system is built to hit blacks
    to remove and clear our hoods / communities and destroy families it a war
    on our race and i agree fully we all need to open eyes to this destructional
    maze they got us in and fight back by helping free our sistas & bruthas
    teaching the system to our youth keeping our chances alive stop pointing
    fingers .......the great (Quote)
    EVERYBODY KNEW IT , BUT NOBODY DID IT , WHEN FINGERS WAS POINTING
    SOMEBODY COULD HAVE BUT DIDN'T AND NOW THE FINGER POINTS BACK

we are the ones placing blame but forgot to help all the same
    now our women being jailed at a high rate ......wake up it's a wipe out to the
    black communities and race thankz Panafrica for this enlightment and needed
    info.

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Well said brother

Well spoken my brother. This is why I'm involved in a prison ministry to those inmate who are willing to become Christians. Notice I said Christians and not Church Folks there is a difference. These inmates will need a tremendous ammount of support when are released. Many times they can not be left alone. Many men and women must reconnect with they're children, reapply for sufferage, drivers license and find a career. One of the missions of a Christian and the Church of Christ is to serve the hurting community not to pass judgement like Pan said. I'm working from the back end trying to keep ex-offender from returning. Anyone interested on how they can get involved send me a email.

Peace

Radical Faith

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    we need to face this because we seem to pass judgement so fast
    without every giving this bruthas & sistas a chance the word prison
    is poison to our mental brains so lables be set forth
    what you are doing is a big step to many recovery i agree they need us
    more now then ever before we need each other in unity harmony and
    embrace our bruthas & sistas we can't save everyone but we sure can
    save more then a few who want to be saved .

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    What has disappointed & surprised me over the years when reading newspapers articles, magazine articles (like the famous Newsweek article about the rise of the Black Woman);and forum topics which discussed the percentages of black men in prison, was not the stereotypical content: black men are criminals. What surprised me was who these views were often coming from black women. I expect white media to portray us in a negative light, but when those same negative views are coming from our women it hurts. Indeed it is sad when we buy into our own stereotypes! I hope this report will make people realize how the racist US justice system is preying on our community (male & female), and leads to us once again working together to improve the community: Before the Women's Rights Movement...before the Integration Movement...Before the Black Neo-Con Movement...before all these "distractions" arose to divide us!

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Good thread topic and great statement Brother Pan! I agree completely!

Queenie :spinstar:

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I am not surprised. However, I know so less about this topic, that when I think of female prisoners, all I think of is Assata Shakur, who was in for a righteous reason. What are the circumstances behind them being locked up?

Cedric Denson

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Does no one else think this subject is worthy of discussion?

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I certainly do! Our people are being wharehoused, and it seems like so many of us just wanna have fun and party all the time. Like life is all about gratification.

75% is a staggering number, that means children are not being guided by their natural mothers, that some of the sistahs are having children by prison guards, while still in jail. Being subjected to physical and sexual abuse.

That when and if they come out of jail, they will be traumatized and not prepared to resume a "normal" life. Many will be shunned by our own community not knowing the factors behind what put them in jail in the first place. Yes some women need to be locked away, but most of them, I dare say are not in jail for violent crimes. The one's that are there for assault probably constitute a large number of victims of domestic violence.

You are right pan. Where is the interest, where is the OUTRAGE?

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Oh, if I may be so bold, may I suggest this thread be moved to the women's forum. Maybe it will garner more attention there