Black People : 73-year-old grandmother arrested for looting

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Sep 19, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Black Grandmother Released From Jail For Looting In New Orleans

GRETNA, La. (AP) - A 73-year-old woman who was jailed for more than two weeks after authorities accused her of looting was released Friday evening. Merlene Maten said the first thing she wanted to do was visit her 80-year-old husband.

"I thank God this ordeal is over," she said after being released from the parish jail. "I did nothing wrong." Police arrested Maten the day after Hurricane Katrina on charges she took $63.50 in goods from a looted deli. Her bail had been set at $50,000.
    Family and eyewitnesses insist she only had gone to her car to get some sausage to eat when officers cuffed her in frustration, unable to catch younger looters at a nearby store.

Despite intervention from the nation's largest senior lobby, volunteer lawyers from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and even a private attorney, the family fought a futile battle for 16 days to get her freed.

http://www.blacknews.com/pr/grandmother101.html

2. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    i had read that article...i was stunned by that one....

3. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i wish death on all cops , and white people.

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    and then there are the articles about them going back after former Black Panther Party members on something they drug back out of the file cabinet??

The "honeymoon" is over, folks ... again, some more ...

and, yes, therious; we would like them to "be someplace else", but the longer we keep airing those sorts of thoughts, the longer it's gonna be until we can move on and build something that works for us. (don't even think about going there!! neither blind, nor naive, nor whiter than white! don't say any of that to me EVER again, therious!)

ignore them; turn your back on them and come to Our Table and let's get IT set. they'll keep on with their mess. we've shrugged off lots of stuff they've dumped on our backs; we can shrug off some more while we build something that works for us!! and we can't concentrate on that while watching every little atrocity that we know they will perp every time they can. see! there went another one right there ... somewhere!! but will that one make it into the media? or will the next one? five more tomorrow! and are we just gonna keep reacting to them in continued "inefficient" manners?

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this truely is painful yet real how we are place'd and accused so quick
    I agaree time we make a way for our selves and sure pass the greed of
    whites there continue hate and destructional plan , and start our new day.

Deep article and the thought of such an elder woman being charge such thing .

6. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I saw her interview on TV
    The cops said she was with a 16 year old and they actually saw them coming out of the store with beer and sausages. Someone also said they did not think it was a brand the store carried. So the cops could have gotten mad that they did not catch anyone and then just picked on her and said they saw her when they did not. It will be interesting to see if it is a brand the store carried.
    She also stated on TV that she always carries around an ice cooler in the back of her car with food or meat in it. And that anyone that knows her knows this is true. This was the only thing that sounded strange. Don’t know why someone would do this all the time except with the hurricane.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Brother Steve, I think your recitation of the story is even stranger...

I read in the San Francisco Chronicle that this sister was staying at a hotel in downtown New Orleans trying to wait out the storm because her husband was took sick to evacuate... She had those goods in her car based on the instructions given her by the city of New Orleans... I don't know what source you got your info from, by trying checking the Chronicle article... Much more informed piece, I would think...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    No this is what she said when they showed her on an interview. Those were the words directly from her. The interview I saw her on was either on CNN or MSBN on the 18th or 19th. They had her on with her lawyer.