Black People : 72 Percent of black babies are born to unmarried women

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate

By JESSE WASHINGTON
    The Associated Press

HOUSTON -- One recent day at Dr. Natalie Carroll's OB-GYN practice, located inside a low-income apartment complex tucked between a gas station and a freeway, 12 pregnant black women come for consultations. Some bring their children or their mothers. Only one brings a husband.

Things move slowly here. Women sit shoulder-to-shoulder in the narrow waiting room, sometimes for more than an hour. Carroll does not rush her mothers in and out. She wants her babies born as healthy as possible, so Carroll spends time talking to the mothers about how they should care for themselves, what she expects them to do - and why they need to get married.

Seventy-two percent of black babies are born to unmarried mothers today, according to government statistics. This number is inseparable from the work of Carroll, an obstetrician who has dedicated her 40-year career to helping black women.

"The girls don't think they have to get married. I tell them children deserve a mama and a daddy. They really do," Carroll says from behind the desk of her office, which has cushioned pink-and-green armchairs, bars on the windows, and a wooden "LOVE" carving between two African figurines. Diamonds circle Carroll's ring finger.

As the issue of black unwed parenthood inches into public discourse, Carroll is among the few speaking boldly about it. And as a black woman who has brought thousands of babies into the world, who has sacrificed income to serve Houston's poor, Carroll is among the few whom black women will actually listen to.
    ad_icon

"A mama can't give it all. And neither can a daddy, not by themselves," Carroll says. "Part of the reason is because you can only give that which you have. A mother cannot give all that a man can give. A truly involved father figure offers more fullness to a child's life."

Statistics show just what that fullness means. Children of unmarried mothers of any race are more likely to perform poorly in school, go to prison, use drugs, be poor as adults, and have their own children out of wedlock.

The black community's 72 percent rate eclipses that of most other groups: 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent.

READ MORE:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/06/AR2010110602362.html

2. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    Does anyone believe that this is just more propaganda with inflated statistics, or is this the truth? Personally I believe this is close to actuality.

3. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    I agree w/ some of those bw, they shouldn't be deprived of motherhood just because a "good man is hard to find". And I don't think they are necessarily contributing to the decline of our community.

I really don't understand why bm don't want to marry these women? wth?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    :geek:what's up wit that 28%? let go for 100!

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    You mean the 29% of whites?

6. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Young folks have been effected subconsciousyl and consciously by music, and have been for tens of thousands of years,
    that is why traditionala African music had serious meaning and content, to foster and nurture upliftment and community development and the solidarity of the family unit

During the 60s , 90% of black music played on the radio and played in homes was about love, marriage, brocken hearts and healed hearts
    the other 10%; 8% was about the latest dance and 2% percent was protest music

what are the youth listening to today?" what is the content and what has the content been for the past 20 years?

excerpt from the Brookings inst;
    An Analysis of out of Wedlock Births

......Since 1970, out-of-wedlock birth rates have soared. In 1965, 24 percent of black infants and 3.1 percent of white infants were born to single mothers. By 1990 the rates had risen to 64 percent for black infants, 18 percent for whites. Every year about one million more children are born into fatherless families. ......

www.brookings.edu

7. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Can't just blame music

We keep saying the music.....the music...

What about tv, movies, magazines, the internet, friends...or THE PARENTS??

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    to be honest aren't all 6 effected and immersed in hip hop, when it comes to what black folks look at and talk about today, and the style and culture of young parents?

the proof is in statistical and critical analysis of the facts

I blamed nothing and no one, I just presented the facts
    and respect the intellignece of the readers here to figure out things for themselves

the statistic was at one point in the 60s and we see where it is now

9. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Did i say YOU??? I'm responding to what YOU posted

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    All I am saying if young folks are focused on materialism rather then love,