Black Parenting : ~

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by medusanegrita, Apr 25, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I'm not ready. Thanks for the feedback tho.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Cultural education and the knowledge of self and appreciation of self, starts as soon as a child can grasp or crawl.

only the parent can decide the developmental environment, that will influence the outcome.

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    It's so funny...When I look back on being a child I never wanted to be white or light skinned...I had other things on my mind, like video games and basketball

Besides I didn't even play with dolls so I never wanted a white baby doll or a black one...They both were disgusting to me anyways

My daughter has black and white dolls...I'm not going to trip on what kinda doll she plays with...

Am I going to stop her from babying her stuffed rabbit because she isn't a freakin' animal, because she's a human being and human's can't....You get my point?

Yes, she wanted to throw on a wig on and act like she had white hair and spin around with it on her head...Fine, I let her do it and get it out her system...then I was like I like your hair better...

She wanted her hair in afro-puffs the other day and she likes it like that....So she was rockin' the puffs for a couple days...

Anyways this is how I feel about the whole test........:10500: WHY???

Shouldn't you be concerned about other things than your child's concept on skin complexion?

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730

Oh my goodness.

no. I don't think this is a 'bad mother issue'. Maybe we live in a different era in which there are other obstacles that we are not aware of concerning subliminal messages being put out when our children leave the home. And, i don't think it's only the parent responsibility but also, the community. I guess the best way I could define what i feel when i read this is to give my personal growth and platform:

THE 60s CHILD

yes. I do believe my mother had a lot to do with me preferring black dolls because i remember her very well when she used to complain about some of my other aunts and my cousins who outright preferred the white dolls and did not want black dolls. i also believe it had a lot to do with the Civil Rights Movement because even though I was very young, i remember the ebony articles and etc. being discussed on how black men were complaining about giving little black girls dolls that were black. next thing ya know, when my mother placed the Sears catalogue in front of me and i thumbed through the book and saw the black dolls beside the white ones, I became obsessed over getting the black dolls for xmas under the tree. And when i got my Drowsy doll and my Christy doll, it was one of the best presents I ever received.

Now, my mother did not get rid of the white dolls that i already had before THE MOVEMENT. i still had my Raggedy Anne doll and etc. And I adored my white dolls too. i never made a difference over them in 'play time'. I simply just loved my Black dolls.

When you say you had a preference to be lighter skin, well, I was the opposite and I think perhaps, it was because of my older male cousins. I don't know for sure. I adored black men period but, many times I found myself just simply mesmerized by the dark skinned black men. I remember staring at the Brute men in the magazines and my older cousin would cut pictures out and put them on her wall and we would pick our favorite...i'm a 60s child...what can i say.

i remember seeing Jayne Kennedy with her huge afro and other sister girls on tv for a brief period before the Mob Squad and Peggy Lipton became the hype...and well, the black women just stuck in my head as still being the beauty image...

so perhaps today, we don't have the kind of push we got when i was young right around the time when these issues were being brought to our 'collective attention'. i don't know.

i don't think you're a bad mother though. you just need to reinforce positive images. No. i don't think it's a passing thing though. She may be getting something negative from school, from teachers...and from tv...

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    so perhaps today, we don't have the kind of push we got when i was young right around the time when these issues were being brought to our 'collective attention'. i don't know.

that is the fact of the matter