Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
120611-national-black-women-sexual-abuse.jpg

Study: 60 Percent of Black Females Are Sexually Abused Before They Turn 18
A preliminary study from Black Women’s Blueprint finds that 60 percent of Black women surveyed said they were sexually abused by a Black man before they turned 18.

• Nationally, more than 300 women were surveyed in the study, and the organization hopes to survey a total of 700 women by March 2012. The group will announce its full findings at that time.

According to Farah Tanis, co-Founder of the New York-based organization and co-author of the study, domestic and sexual abuse in the Black community often goes ignored, and the problem is only getting worse.

“A similar study that was conducted by Black Women’s Health Imperative seven years ago found that that number was about 40 percent,” Tanis told NewsOne. “So that means there is an increase and we need to stop neglecting that issue.”

According to the White House, young women between the ages of 16 to 24 suffer from the highest rates of dating violence and sexual assault. On Nov. 30, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vermont) and Senator Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) introduced bipartisan legislation to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which was first passed in 1994 by then-Senator Joseph Biden. The legislation helps states and local communities provide services for victims, develop specialized law enforcement units and works to strengthen prosecution of these crimes. The annual incidence of domestic violence has dropped by more than 50 percent since VAWA was first passed, the White House reports.

BET Health News - We go beyond the music and entertainment world to bring you important medical information and health-related tips of special relevance to Blacks in the U.S. and around the world.

I believe this. And if you add mere physical abuse to the equation, I believe the number would be even higher. This has nothing to do with demonizing black men; why does it always go back to that instead of it being asked what is being done to protect black women/girls?

I haven't been sexually abused, but the amount of women in my own family that have been violated blew my mind. Then there were other women in the neighborhood, close friends of the family, and so on. It was like every one had this dirty little secret that the men ignored and the women were forced to remain silent about.

I know it probably comes as a surprise to black men who had no idea whatsoever about this and have never harmed a female in their lives, but this has been going on way too long in our community and needs to be addressed.

i don't believe this. another effort to demonize the black man.

You see, when you go about it this way, it brings separation. Instead of listening to the women who have gone through this, you take it as an attack on black men. If black men and women are one thing, one community, why would they just single y'all out?

It's always stated that racism affects both black men and women, but so many of y'all are quick to state black men are the ones being attacked and black women are being "used" to do the attacking. Why is that?

How about just listening and not ignoring a real issue here. I know that ignoring things brings some people comfort, but it's only going to bring about more dysfunction to our community til it's fixed.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back