Black Spirituality Religion : 60 Books that will Enrich Your Spiritually, Socially, Politically and Emotionally

Akil was the one of the first Black authors that I read . His book titled "From N..... to Gods" was extremely educational and also very humorous, I highly recommend it (especially to younger people). I would also like to add "The United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept" by Neely Fuller Jr. I am currently reading that now and it has some very interesting concepts. Its closely associated with the "Isis Papers" by Francis Cress Welsing. By the way has anyone read this book (the United Independent Compensatory Code etc..) if you have please let me know what you think(you can PM me if you like)
Peace..

Great lists all!...

Mahogany, I read The United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept several years ago...purchased it at a lecture I attended by Dr. Francis Cress-Welsing and Neely Fuller. I consider it a "must have." (Btw, the correct spelling of the author of ****** To Gods is "Akil.")

Here is a booklist for those interested in astrology, metaphysics and the occult:

THE LIGHT OF EGYPT, Thomas Burgoyne, vols. I & II, Sun Books

STAR NAMES, Their Lore And Meaning, Richard Hinckley, Dover Publications

ISIS UNVEILED, Mme. Helena Blavatsky, vols. I & II

HEBREW ASTROLOGY, Sepharial, Sun Books

ALAN OKEN'S COMPLETE ASTROLOGY, which contains: AS ABOVE, SO BELOW; THE HOROSCOPE, THE ROAD AND ITS TRAVELERS; ASTROLOGY: EVOLUTION AND REVOLUTION, Bantam Books, Inc.

Contemporary Astrology, Jerry Williams, Para Research, Inc.

THE MODERN TEXTBOOK OF ASTROLOGY, Margaret E. Hone, L.N. FOWLER & CO. LTD.

ANCIENT HINDU ASTROLOGY FOR THE MODERN WESTERN ASTROLOGER, James T. Braha, Hermatician Press

ASTROLOGY, THE DIVINE SCIENCE, Marcia Moore and Mark Douglas, Arcane Publications

THE MYSTICS OF ISLAM, Reynold A. Nicholson, Routledge and Kegan Paul, Ltd.

THE GREAT PYRAMID DECODED, Peter Lemesurier, Element Books

Zolar's Encyclopedia of ANCIENT and FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE, Arco Publications, Inc.

THE ASTROLOGER'S HANDBOOK, Frances Sakoian & Louis Acker, Harper & Row Publishers, Inc.

ASTROLOGICAL PATTERNS, The Key to Self-Discovery, Frances Sakoian & Betty Caufield, Harper & Row Publishers, Inc.

The A to Z Horoscope Maker and Delineator, Llewellyn George, Llewellyn Publications

THE ONLY WAY TO...LEARN ASTROLOGY, vols. I, II & III, ACS Publications

THE RISING SIGN, Jeanne Avery, Doubleday & Co., Inc.

The Astrological Houses, The Spectrum of Individual Experience, Dane Rudhyar, Doubleday & Co., Inc.

ASTROLOGY FOR MILLIONS, Grant Lewi, Llewellyn Publications

The Scientific Basis of Astrology, Michel Gauquelin, Stein and Day Publishers

A HANDBOOK FOR THE HUMANISTIC ASTROLOGER, Michael R. Meyer, Anchor Press/Doubleday

ABOUT THIS THREAD (pretty please)

by the way - i am trying to create a thread of books for african-centered people here. the books doesnt necessarily have to be written by an african - but it's core message should be congruent, complimentary or similiar to message expounded by african centered politics, culture and spirituality.

-- this forum is full of plenty of non-african centered thoughts, messages etc. please do not use this thread in the same way. that isnt fair considering that the MAJORITY of the threads in the spirituality forum are NOT african-centered.

-- in addition, if you have any good spirituality titles please add those first. anything that is AFRICAN-CENTERED.

african centered friendly books ONLY. most of the titles mentioned thus far fall in that category, but a few dont. please start new book threads for these.

Nelly Fuller, The United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept - I read it, but I am not entirely comfortable with it. Mostly because it doesnt have any African nature to it. Its essentially a western militant stance that still draws heavily from the eurocentric political ideologies.

Also to date, I know of not one black political movement or organization that has made real practical use of it. That is out of all the organizations I have been affiliated with or come to know - not one has been able to successfully transfer the bulk of the recommendations in that book into a workable ideology or component of an existing one for their group. Which is key. We are practical people, so we need to SEE these books become tools, not good reference books.

Frantz Fanon - anything by him is good, but difficult reading. And it should be read in tandem with something spiritual. Fanon is absolutely devoid of anything spiritual in his writings and he postulated actions that need spirit behind them to fully succeed. This is my chief criticism of African independence movements and the OAU - they are using eurocentric metholodies to gain independence from europeans! Which is why the OAU has been such a dismal failure - and why some countries have had more coups in the last twenty years than other countries have had presidents! Fanon is the "man", but he needed God (the center of reality for an African) in his life.

Gerald Massey - anything is good reference material. But the best of his work has been captured and updated in more recent works - in decidely more readable form. Same goes for some of our own scholars which havent been mentioned like J.A. Rogers (who has also married to a white woman sadly enough!) Rogers and Masey were historical genuises for their time, but their works contain lapses that have since been corrected, expanded upon etc... So they should be read with a discerning eye.

An old favorite that has remained fairly current are the works of Drusila Dundee. They are hard to find. I only see her stuff at old libraries. I think UB&US publish her writings on occasion - not sure though.

ifasehun ... i don't know how i got listed as the author of this thread. such has happened before, where the starter of the thread is replaced by someone else ... hmmmm ... some glitch in the software i suppose ... but it's obvious to anyone who clicks inside this thread that it is not mine ... and if anyone asks me, i'll tell them it's yours ... :)

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back