6,000-mile ride honors black cowboys

FaithSoulSistah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 20, 2007
http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071208/NEWS01/712080346/1006/MTCN0301

Miles Dean, executive director of the Black Heritage Riders, rode through Nashville Friday as a part of his six-month, 6,000-mile cross country trip on horseback.

While in Nashville, Dean stopped at Fisk University and spoke with students about the role African-Amercan cowboys played in settling, exploring and expanding the United States, and interviewed staff historians. The Black Heritage Riders is a Piscataway, N.J.-based nonprofit organization that seeks to reform public schools and curriculum so that more minority children will succeed.

The organization also provides workshops and other learning opportunities to help kids understand the contributions of African-Americans during the westward expansion. Countless African-Amercan men and women rode their horses out of bondage and onto the Western plains to become pioneers, cattle ranchers, cowboys, soldiers, trailblazers and builders of Western towns, according to the group.

Dean's journey began in September in New York and will conclude in February in Los Angeles. Students and teachers are welcome to interact with Dean via live chats, e-mails and polls available at the organization's Web site.

Those interested can track Dean's progress online at www.blackheritageriders.org.

—JANELL ROSS

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back