Black People : 4th of July: New York Style

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
In 1788, the slave trade in New York was banned outright (but with important loopholes), and the special courts which had held power of life and death over slaves for 80 years were abolished.....

In 1799 the Legislature passed "An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery" with only token opposition. It provided for gradual manumission on the Pennsylvania model, which allowed masters to keep their younger slaves in bondage for their most productive years, to recoup their investment. The law freed all children born to slave women after July 4, 1799, but not at once. The males became free at 28, the females at 25. Till then, they would be the property of the mother's master.

Slaves already in servitude before July 4, 1799, remained slaves for life, though they were reclassified as "indentured servants." The law sidestepped all question of legal and civil rights, thus avoiding the objections that had blocked the earlier bill.

The activity of kidnappers and cheats in selling slaves out of the state in spite of the laws fostered the 1817 statute that gave freedom to New York slaves who had been born before July 4, 1799 -- but not until July 4, 1827.

Slavery was still not entirely repealed in the state, because the new law offered an exception, allowing nonresidents to enter New York with slaves for up to nine months, and allowing part-time residents to bring their slaves into the state temporarily. Though few took advantage of it, the "nine-months law" remained on the books until its repeal in 1841, when slavery had become the focus of sectional rivalry and the North was re-defining itself as the "free" region.

The state's slaveholders had seen the writing on the wall after 1785. And part of their response was to sell their slaves south while they still could. As early as the 1780s, after commissions and insurance costs, an able-bodied New York slave could be sold south for a profit of at least £40. Owners avoided the ban on the slave trade by disguising purchases as long-term leases or indentures (one importer brought a "free" black over from New Jersey under a 99-year "indenture"). Free blacks were victimized, too, sold into slavery for debt or under terms of fraudulent contracts or apprenticeships. The New York Manumission Society rescued 33 blacks from such schemes in 1796 alone; uncounted others certainly slipped past their vigilance.

In "A History of Negro Slavery in New York" [1966], Edgar J. McManus writes that an analysis of census figures shows an extremely sharp drop in the growth rate of New York's black population after 1800. Many blacks must have left the state, he writes, and few left voluntarily. "The conclusion is inescapable," McManus writes, "that the exodus was largely the work of kidnapers and illegal traders who dealt in human misery."

http://www.slavenorth.com/nyemancip.htm

cherryblossom

Feb 28, 2009
...On July 5, 1852, Douglass gave a speech at an event commemorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence, held at Rochester's Corinthian Hall. It was biting oratory, in which the speaker told his audience, "This Fourth of July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn." And he asked them, "Do you mean, citizens, to mock me, by asking me to speak to-day?"

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59687

Ankhur

Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
...On July 5, 1852, Douglass gave a speech at an event commemorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence, held at Rochester's Corinthian Hall. It was biting oratory, in which the speaker told his audience, "This Fourth of July is yours, not mine. You may rejoice, I must mourn." And he asked them, "Do you mean, citizens, to mock me, by asking me to speak to-day?"

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59687

Good to see youback and thanks again,

timely post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:teach::time:

:flowers::flowers::hearts4::hearts4::wine::chef:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Activists get permit for 'Baby Trump' balloon at July 4th events on National Mall Black Entertainment 6
Fine1952 Black People : ?4th Of July? Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Outrage and support as NBA rookie won’t celebrate 4th of July Black Sports 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Frederick Douglas: And the 4th of July Trump should read this AACOOLDRE 0
R Black Poetry : 4th of July Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Law Enforcement Ramps Up Security for July 4th Weekend Black People Open Forum 6
R Black Poetry : 4th of July Celebration of the Declaration Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Entertainment : Chris Rock under fire for ‘white people’s day’ July 4th tweet Black Entertainment 21
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : STARZ SPANGLE BANNER (July 4th remix) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
R Black Poetry : 4th of July Celebration of the Declaration Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
R Black Poetry : 4th of July Celebration of the Declaration Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
cherryblossom Black People : 4th of July Speech, Frederick Douglass Black People Open Forum 16
asimplepoet Black Poetry : July 4th rant Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
Queenie Black People : Will you fly a flag on the 4th of July? Black People Open Forum 14
P Black Poetry : 4th Of July(Inspiration of Family) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
Liberty Black Sports : Serena Williams Named WTA Player of the Year for the 4th Year In A Row Black Sports 5
Kadijah Law Forum : Police making cellphone searches without a warrant - 4th amendment case before SCOTUS Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 27
Each1teach1 Black People : Former member of Hitler Youth Warns of American Rise of the 4th Reich Black People Open Forum 1
Ankhur Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv: immortal Technique, 4th Branch Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Knowledge Seed Black Positive People : Black Power: Coca Cola's 4th largest bottler is Black-owned Black People Doing Positive Things 8
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : 4th year anniversary of Katrina Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Chevron Dove Black Christians : REVELATIONS 8:12--The 4th Trump! Christian Study Group 4
Chevron Dove Black Spirituality Religion : NUMBERS 14:18, Judgment of the 3rd and 4th Generation Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
cherryblossom Quiet Poetry Lounge : 4th Quarter: No Time-Outs! Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
K Black Spirituality Religion : 4th & 5th spheres Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Destee Black People : 4th Case of Anthrax in NYC ! Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Fox Soul Cancels Farrakhan Fourth of July Speech After Outrage From ADL, Tapper Black People Open Forum 9
OldSoul Black People : Wayne Williams is a scapegoat in Atlanta Child Murders: Informant (July 2019) Black People Open Forum 2
R Black Poetry : She was wit a boy on fourth of July desire to flirt in a way that was fireworks may even require a twerk she here in Walmart in a mini-skirt no funny Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
OldSoul Black People : OldSoul on V103's 'The Battle" - Sunday July 15th - 5 PM CST Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Should blacks celebrate the fourth of July AACOOLDRE 5
KMeister Law Forum : 9 Dead, 53 Wounded in Fourth of July Weekend Violence in Chicago Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Jeralean Talley, World’s Oldest Woman, Dies at 116 - Replaced by Susannah Mushatt Jones, July 06 Black People Doing Positive Things 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Africa in pictures: 18-24 July 2014 All Things Africa 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro, by Frederick Douglas Black Education / Schools 5
R Black Poetry : HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYBODY Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : Ms.Blu July Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Destee Black People : What's the Story Behind April Fool's Day ... ?? ... Why not June or July Fool's Day? Black People Open Forum 4
PurpleMoons Black People : Hunger Strikers Urge You To Come to Washington July 30 | Dennis Black People Open Forum 16
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Steam Summer Sale (July 11 - 22) Science and Technology 2
skuderjaymes Audio Video Web Conferencing : Stevie Wonder - Documentary 1981 BBC Hotter Than July Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Mountain Blue Black Events : July 13-19th, New York, theartical release of "Family Portrait in Black and White". Black Events 4
anAfrican Science and Technology : Hundreds of thousands may lose Internet in July Science and Technology 8
R Black Poetry : Fourth Of July PICNIC Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People : wasn't the world supposed to end in july? Black People Open Forum 5
S Black People : July 17th:Special Full Moon? Black People Open Forum 9
D Audio Video Web Conferencing : July 27 Poetry Night @ Destee.com Audio Video Web Conferencing 4
S Remembering Dr. John H. Clarke - Jan. 1, 1915 - July 16, 1998 Honoring Black Ancestors 4
watzinaname Sister's Only Chat : Sister Chat, Monday, July 23, 2007, 8PM to 10PM EST Voice Chat Black Women 0
watzinaname Sister's Only Chat : Sister Chat, Monday, July 9, 2007, 8PM to 10PM EST, Voice Chat Black Women 0