Black People : 42 laws of power

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Gary C. Booker, May 3, 2003.

1. Gary C. Booker

Gary C. Booker Well-Known Member MEMBER

Freelance Writer, Researcher
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Actually Booker, there were 48 laws not 42 which in this case, isn't necessarily a good thing. What a list. But aren't there different kinds of power, i.e., political, economic, social...they're not all the same are they? I ask that because I'm wondering whether the "laws of power" apply in every case because they seem so ruthless and unethical. For example, Oprah has economic power. Did she apply the laws of power to accumulate her wealth? Now, people who want ultimate (for lack of a better word) power...people who want to control the world and the people in it...these laws would seem more applicable.

What do you think? Are these laws universal?

3. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    I did say 42 didn't I? Oops! LOL. Anyways... what caught my attention is the way the laws apply to the methods of colonialism, KKKorporate fraud, etc. Oprah? Hmmm... I can definitely see some applications. One of them is "Don't put too much trust in friends and learn how to use enemies." However, I must ask what do you mean by "economic power?" There is a difference between "economic wealth" and "economic power." Bob Johnson has economic wealth, but the Bush's and the Rockefellers have economic power. The difference is their ability to control the economic affairs of others.

GCB

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hmmmm...good point on the difference between economic power and economic wealth. But, without the political power that the Bush's have enjoyed, or the Kennedy's, wouldn't they be in the same position as an Oprah...economically wealthy?

And Booker, tell me what you think. As capitalists, if Blacks want/need power to end oppression and improve their condition in America, would we have to subscribe to these same laws of power to succeed?

5. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    "But, without the political power that the Bush's have enjoyed, or the Kennedy's, wouldn't they be in the same position as an Oprah...economically wealthy? "

Nope. The way their wealth distrubution was enacted makes the difference. The Kennedy's got rich off the prohibition era and developed connections with the mob. The Bush's got rich off oil,which deals with a natural resourve vital to the economy. They are calling shots within society. Oprah, on the other hand... has to watch what she says, who she caters to, who she invites to her show, etc. If she breaks any of those rules, then she is no more. What is her Harpo corporation without those who control what is distributed among the airwaves?

" if Blacks want/need power to end oppression and improve their condition in America, would we have to subscribe to these same laws of power to succeed?"

Not per se, but we should understand them as we work as a collective... knowing that this is the blueprint in which the enemy goes by and defend ourselves accordingly.

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Booker, you make some interesting distinctions between economic wealth and economic power. So I guess it doesn't matter how much money you have, you must also have the ability to control and influence people on a large scale in order to have power. Sounds like the "old boys network" has power locked up tight...or do they?

So the Kennedy's associated with people who through brutal fear tactics could persuade decisions and get their way. The Bushes locked in on oil and probably had a few friends along the way similar to the Kennedy's to help them get their way. Interestingly, these people always eventually lean toward politics once they have the money and "friends" to support and back them up. So it seems like they can actually purchase ultimate power...economic/political power combined. Is that what Bush did when he was elected president?

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    In a capitalistic society where racism is used as a sophisticated tool to oppress, divide and control, how do the oppressed "defend" themselves from their powerful oppressors? Would anything short of a revolution rob power from the "enemy" and shift it to the oppressed? Can Blacks successfully fight back by living in a system that was created by and for people other than them? What influence could Blacks wield collectively to counteract a system of power that renders them or gives them the perception that they are, as a majority, powerless?

Good topic! :)

8. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed, very good topic...

"What influence could Blacks wield collectively to counteract a system of power that renders them or gives them the perception that they are, as a majority, powerless? "

Well, first we must stop behaving like merchandise. We have to stop putting our culture up for sale and calling it "becoming mainstream." This enables them to learn our secrets and exploit them (which, if you notice, was one of the laws of power). People like Combs, Simmons, and the Johnsons are notorious for this.

Go back to the colonialization of Africa. They did not come in and just run things as they like to put it in the summations of history textbooks. It took them years of learning who didn't like what and the pet peaves of each of the great empires of Mali, Songhai, Benin, and Ghana. Then after commercializing it peice by peice through various means such as the slave trade, they weakened it to the point where they could move in with small numbers and just run all over them.

We've got to start recycling our dollars, thinking as a unit, and avoiding being divided and conquered, repair our family structure in which our culture is passed, and cure ourselves of the mental illness Igottadomythangism.

What do you think?

GCB

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Co-dependent?

What do I think? I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

A person can't acquire power alone. Perceived power is only real to the individual that thinks that way. To execute power, it can only be successful if people give them the right to manipulate, use or control them.

One of the best classes that I ever took in college was an abnormal psychology course. That course has helped me over the years to learn a little about people and their motivations.

What I found fascinating about the course was that I learned that there is no single definition of "normal." Actually, the concept of and standards for "normal"are set by the "ruling" society. People will behave in ways that either conform to or rebel against what the larger portion of society considers acceptable. Most people conform.

In the U.S. I think that the struggles for Blacks is largely due to the European standard set for what is "normal." It's not the same as ours yet some of us continue to struggle with either trying to adapt or to fight. However, I think that our fighting will be to no avail, we will continue to be powerless unless some of us stop trying to behave like White people and start thinking like who we were meant to be--ourselves, in our own skin. Which takes me to another point.

". . . This enables them to learn our secrets and exploit them (which, if you notice, was one of the laws of power). People like Combs, Simmons, and the Johnsons are notorious for this."

Do Blacks really have secrets that we don't want Whites to know about? If we thought that way, then I'm sure we are smart enough not to reveal what we know so as not to be exploited. But our history shows us that we tend not to hold information back--we're very open and free about what we know and what we can do. Is there an inherent character trait that Blacks have (honesty and openness) that Europeans have less of? What is it going to take for us to learn how to "hold back"?

We can't stop them from hanging around us and learning our ways and our likes and dislikes. Whites gravitate to Blacks like metal to a magnet. And I agree, "We've got to start recycling our dollars, thinking as a unit, and avoiding being divided and conquered, repair our family structure in which our culture is passed, and cure ourselves of the mental illness Igottadomythangism." But it hasn't happened yet.

You know what the relationship between Blacks and Whites makes me think of? In abusive relationships, there's a term called "co-dependency." We don't really want to be together, don't like the relationship, but we both think we "need" each other and can't separate from the relationship, as bad as it is.

What do you think?

10. Gary C. Booker

Ratings:
    +1
    I would certainly say that we have developed co-dependency! We have undergone the same type of psychological treatment. An abusive husband makes a woman co-dependent by convincing her that he beats her because he loves her and makes her feel like his presence is a necessity (i.e.. you can't make it financially without me, nobody else will want you). Uncle Scam has convinced us that he found us as savages without culture and he gave us civilization and that we can't do anything without his help. A whole lot of us (even those who call themselves "Black Leaders") have fallen for it.

As for our secrets, we have several. One is our language and mannerism, another is our communication via cultural expressions (music for example) and others include our hospitality, history, and different characterisitics of the many reasons why we are who we are. I mentioned Combs and Simmons because they took an artform that is historically an expression of speaking out and communicating various messages and allowed it to become a product. We need to obtain knowledge of who we are and we shall see the characteristics of ourselves which are under attack and only then can we preserve them.

And yes, we need to stop going by European standards for what is "Normal," but we also need to stop going by their standard of "success."

GCB