Science and Technology : 3d, modeling & animation

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Kamui_R, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Kamui_R

Kamui_R Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using Lightwave 3d since the Amiga days, anybody here do 3d?

Perhaps a joint project of some kind? As you can guess I'm a hobbyist, doing mostly Arch-viz (and the occasional starship).

K.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i don't know nutin.....

can 3-D be applied to still photos?

3. Kamui_R

Kamui_R Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Done all the time . .

If you've been to the movies or watched TV any time in these last 2 decades you've seen it done already.

Compositing is one of the main uses. You've seen the talent in front of a blue or green screen in a set then the broadcast or print version will have them in any kind of setting you can imagine, or the background can be any still or video itself.

I was going to hook up with a photographer to provide some goth and volcanic backgrounds, I guess we'll finish the project when he gets out of prison.

If the model is made into a clip map it can cast shadows on the 3d set.

My programs 'computer camera' has a number of real world lenses and real world lights can be simulated to match the illumination of the model (IES standards).Different types of film graincan also be simulated, but these days with just about everything being digital that may not be as crucial.

K.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i may try it if i ever get a new computer

5. Kamui_R

Kamui_R Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Can be time-consuming

3d apps are not known for easy learning paths. If you get one be sure to get acquainted with a user you can ask questions of.

There should also be libraries of free objects that you can modify for own use,
    it would be time well spent finding these, then you can concentrate on lighting and composition. You don't need the latest or most expensive package.

3d apps will eat $$$$$ like nothing else. Get something that will do a lot without having to buy a bunch of additional modules, and look to get one with a **** good native renderer. Get a friend who can help you navigate through the hype.

Good luck !

K.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    sounds like a lot of work but great to learn ......thankz for sharing this info

7. Kamui_R

Kamui_R Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Stopped painting & drawing to

mainly do 3d. Make a model texture it and I can do endless variations, use it in
    animations, your creative work becomes infinitely useful.

I still have my first painting, all I can do is dust it off every few years, my 3d models I can make my houses walk and improve my oldest models and incorporate them into my latest scenes.

Big fun.

K.

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hello Kamui,

How many heads would it require to do a 3d animation story of some kind? I know the pixars and them have over 100 staffers, but for something no budget what would it require?

Also have you ever used blender? http://www.blender.org/

9. Kamui_R

Kamui_R Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Blender, I really

tried to get into it, but even among 3d pgms the learning curve was/is steep.

When they address the user interface issues I'll maybe try it again. But you can't beat the price. Sketchup from Google is another one I'd like to try.

As for an animation, it depends on what you're trying. Spending most of the time on the script and a storyboard will significantly increase the chance of success.

Pixar has many times more than 100, and they have farms of computers and many people who do things like write programs that address things that the main 3d pgm may not do out of the box or needs enhancement.

It also requires a LOT of time and if done in a 'not for profit' endeavor other issues like software compatibility, egos come into play.

Best to start with small sub-projects to become familiar with what needs to be done.

Any big animation is a lot of small scenes strung together, so best at first to play with the smaller fun stuff and see how it works out.

K.

10. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    alone we can't do much, can we

Greetings pixel pushers,

I have tried Blender and yes the learning curve is steep but not impossible, maybe harder if you know something else. I recommend downloading as many tutorial videos as you can find put them on CD and just go through them.

I tried Rhino 3D back when it was beta, the cost drove me out of town. I am a Linux user these days. Linux has a few 3D apps, K-3D and Blender are the ones I've tinkered with but don't really know them. I hear there are a few professional apps that run on Linux, like Maya, XSI, Realsoft 3D, and SideFX Houdini. I am a 2D guy at present learning GIMP and Inkscape.

I think we should find a spot on the net and gather there, trade sketches, tips, stories, etc; that reflect our interest. Then in the mix you might find some similar thinkers to do a project. Not that I care to emphasise race but when you got a story and you can't tell it in your own voice, there is still a problem. Case in point, sci-fi.