Vegetable - Fruit - Recipe : 30 minute Greens

Discussion in 'Food Discussion and Recipes' started by largo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Nov 15, 2009
    Thought I would share a pretty quick method of cooking Collard Greens with you all. I have a family of four so this is the amount I prepare for two days of greens.

You will need to get:

2 1/2 bunches of collard greens
    1 large sweet onion
    1 medium green bell pepper
    1 medium red bell pepper
    4 medium cloves of garlic
    1 palm full each of cumin, oregano, thyme(a little less than a palm full)
    1 palm full of fresh cilantro
    1 sprinkle of red pepper flakes
    1 large bay leaf
    3 good dashes of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup sugar - more if needed
    1/4 red wine vinegar - more if needed
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 medium size smoke turkey leg - optional
    2 strips bacon - optional
    1 32oz box of low sodium & fat free chicken broth - or veggie broth as a sub
    Extra virgin olive oil

You will need to do:

1 - In a pot large enough to fit your turkey leg, add the box of chicken broth and the turkey leg and bring to a boil and them simmer for 1/2 an hour. 1 hour is better. Periodically turn the turkey leg. This is going to be your liquid for your greens.

2 - Meanwhile, wash your greens well and let the whole leaves drip dry in a colander. Do not cut/pick your greens.

While your greens are draining, dice your onion and bell peppers, mince your garlic and finely chop your cilantro.

Note, if you already have some sofrito made you can certainly skip all of this and just use that. But, making it this way adds a freshness to the greens. So I do it this way.

3 - In a heated skillet add about two turns around the pan of Olive Oil. You want enough to saute your onions and bell peppers. When the oil is warm, add your onion and bell peppers and bay leaf. Cook until good and tender. Once tender add the herbs & spices, garlic, cilantro, red pepper flakes and lightly salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic just starts to turn golden. About 4 minutes or less. Set aside.

4 - Now for the collard greens. Using a cutting board and sharp knife, I fold a leaf in half stem pointing towards me and just cut the stem way. I make stacks of about 6 or 7 leaves each. Once all the stems have been removed, take a stack of leaves and starting at the short end, roll the stack up tight and then cut very thin slices sort of like a julienne. Then cut those little circles in half and scoop them up into a bowl. Repeat with each stack of collard leaves.

5 - Then in a large pot (an oval shape stock pot works well here) cook the strips of bacon. When done, remove the bacon and half the grease. Add a couple of turns of olive oil and then in 4 batches add the greens. Cook each batch about 2 minutes on medium to medium high heat, pushing each batch to the side of the pot when adding another. Repeat until all the greens are in the pot.

6 - Now to the greens add the onion and bell pepper mixture (sofrito), the sugar, vinegar, soy and worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste and stir it up and cook for about 20 minutes continuing to stir. At this point you can eat your greens or you can add the broth and turkey leg, turn the pot down to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes more. Doing this step will add more flavor and tenderize the greens more.

Plate them and top with a little fresh diced onion, a little Italian dressing and your favorite hot pepper sauce. Yummy!

Feel free to add or subtract whatever you personally would like, to make it your own recipe.

Note the thin slicing shortens the cooking time of greens which maintains more nutrition. And do you use the olive oil or some type of fat as fat makes vitamin A more bio available for you body. Greens are rich in vitamin A and bio available calcium and naturally curve your appetite for sugar/sweets.