Black People : 3 things to remember: Respect, Knowledge and Searching for knowledge

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsVeraisblessed, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
  2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Is that really a quote from Soulja Boy? I don't think I heard any of his music but man I know I was ignorant to much at the age of 18 but never THAT ignorant. WOW, ice and tats is what it's about in his mind, huh? I'm glad that I can guide my children past the material smoke and mirrors.

3. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    You have to trained up your child.. when he part from home he/she will never forget what you taught them...They will thank you later...

4. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167

You got that right, no matter how far I tried to go I got roped back in from what moms taught me. I do that with my boys and people are "amazed" at how they behave and I look at them and think they do not know the half of the half, but looking on that in this day and age the way my children portray themselves in public is not the norm is this messed up society looking at the everyday evidence.

5. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    [​IMG]
    age is no excuse for ignorance, yet somehow it is, to the point where the age makes no difference.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Soulja Boy gives 'shout out' to slave masters

Young rapper astounds crowd at awards bash by claiming that slavery helped black people get out of Africa
    ....The shock statement came when BET correspondent and former Rolling Stone contributor, Touré, asked various stars which historical figure they most hated. After Soulja Boy failed to give a response, Touré tried to prompt him, saying "Others have said Hitler, bin Laden, the slave masters ... " at which point Soulja Boy said: "Oh wait! Hold up! Shout out to the slave masters! Without them we'd still be in Africa. We wouldn't be here to get this ice and tattoos."

The stars were answering questions based on the Proust Questionnaire, a series of questions popularised by French writer Marcel Proust. An adapted version appears regularly in Vanity Fair magazine.
    "I thought [the Proust Questionnaire] would be a way to get beyond image and into who they really are," wrote Touré on his Daily Beast blog. "Most of the guys gave good, thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive answers."
    ...cont....http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/04/soulja-boy-slavery

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

So, Soulja Boy purposely gave a sarcastic, stupid answer because he thought the interviewer was asking "stupid" questions because he didn't understand the nature of the "Proust Questionnaire."

....So, either way, it's a sad commentary on Soulja.

[/quote]PROUST QUESTIONNAIRE

MARCEL PROUST was a French writer who believed that people must know and understand themselves before they could know or understand others. He developed a list of subjective questions that he felt would help reveal to people their true selves and the inner personalities of those around them.

Respond to the questions in any manner you choose, briefly or at length. The point is to be honest with yourself. Some questions may require a few minutes of reflection, but many are best answered by recording the first thought that enters your head.

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST FEAR?

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATE OF MIND?

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OCCUPATION?(WAY OF SPENDING TIME)

WHAT HISTORICAL FIGURE DO YOU MOST IDENTIFY WITH?

WHICH LIVING PERSON DO YOU MOST ADMIRE?

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FICTIONAL HERO?

WHO ARE YOUR REAL-LIFE HEROES?

WHAT IS YOUR MOST TREASURED POSSESSION?

WHEN AND WHERE WERE YOU HAPPIEST?

WHAT IS YOUR MOST OBVIOUS CHARACTERISTIC?

WHAT IS THE TRAIT YOU MOST DEPLORE (HATE) IN YOURSELF?

WHAT IS THE TRAIT YOU MOST DEPLORE IN OTHERS?

WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST EXTRAVAGANCE?

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE JOURNEY?

WHAT DO YOU MOST DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR APPEARANCE?

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER THE MOST OVER-RATED VIRTUE?

ON WHAT OCCASION DO YOU LIE?

WHICH WORDS OR PHRASES DO YOU MOST OVER-USE?

IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT YOURSELF, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER YOUR GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT?

WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE?

WHAT IS THE QUALITY YOU MOST ADMIRE IN A MAN?

WHAT IS THE QUALITY YOU MOST ADMIRE IN A WOMAN?

WHAT IS IT YOU MOST DISLIKE?

WHAT DO YOU VALUE MOST IN YOUR FRIENDS?

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO DIE?

IF YOU WERE TO DIE AND COME BACK AS A PERSON OR AN ANIMAL, WHAT DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE?

IF YOU COULD CHOOSE AN OBJECT TO COME BACK AS, WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO (WORDS YOU LIVE BY OR THAT MEAN A LOT TO YOU)?

WHO HAS BEEN THE GREATEST INFLUENCE ON YOU?

[/QUOTE]

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Thanks for doing the work on the strange comment of Soulja Boy. We now have most of the facts explaining why and how this happened.

Peace In

9. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    Thanks CHERRYBLOSSOM for actually doing some research and not just shooting from the hip.
    I'm not poohing on you, MSVERA.
    Just saying....
    There's always a backstory.
    *shrug*

I'd disagree with the premise, i.e., Age is not an excuse.
    In what context?

Yes - it could be... actually.
    I'm not going 'in depth' on anything. The individual is still being formed. They are still growing - still maturing - well into young adulthood. (adolescence spans ages 12-20...actually)
    An adolescent can be expected to engage in certain behavior. Developmentally, an adolescent simply...'is not there yet'. Additionally, there's a problem with life experience.
    They lack it. They're short-sighted...naive...egocentric...headstrong, maybe.
    Of course, that doesn't mean that the caregiver excuses away poor behavior.
    You correct it.
    ...but what an adult would consider 'ignorance' is actually something of a way of being for individuals within a certain age range. That's my point.

Souljah Boy?
    Eh.
    I've never heard about this situation until today, but:

IMO:
    - He spoke from insecurity.
    - He was defensive going into that interview.
    - He wasn't receptive to the interview-er. I mean, obviously...who'd do an interview without doing any research? Complete disrespect to the interviewer.
    - He implied that his handlers pushed him to do it.

I've no idea why this is being made into a 'black folks' and 'slavery' issue.
    It isn't.
    ...and I don't know why it is that some black folks practically go out of their way to look for things to wring their hands and shake their heads about.
    >>cues 100 of the tiny-est string players imaginable<<

'Oh, look how f'ed up we be! These kids, I tell you. Boy, when I was a kid in the 50's and 60's --"
    Ugh, shut up. *laugh*
    I mean, straight-up negativism.

He didn't want to be there. The guy made him uncomfortable and the boy blew the guy off.
    The boy didn't know how to assert himself and decline the request, in the first place. He didn't know how to handle the situation in a more mature manner.

The situation blew up in his face because the media took the story and ran with it.

The child is young and strange, but I don't see the controversy.
    *shrug*