Black Short Stories : 3~Point Landing....

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by alyce, Nov 12, 2001.

1. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85

The airport terminal is crowded and noisy, and yet the people all seem to have the same blank expressions on their faces...rolling along on the conveyor belt, she feels a presence ~ which is silly because she's not alone here...(she shrugs her shoulders and rolls along)...

('I must remember when to get off this thing...he said flight 1290...') she thinks, and she strains to see a monitor as she glides by a row of them overhead...

the flight is not listed ~ 'THAT CAN'T BE!', she almost shreaks in disbelief....

As soon as there is another exit she gets off that rolling thing and moves quickly, heart in her throat, to a ticket counter...

"Excuse me, sir"..her speech comes in short sputters, hands
    getting moist ~ ('what's wrong with me today?')

"Yes, ma'am?" answered this gorgeous "Adonis" in dreads...

She was stunned by the man's warm, brown eyes, but managed to speak... "Is flight 1290 from Seattle going to be on time?"

He begins checking something in front of him that she can't see. He knits his brows, and a puzzled look takes over his face...

"Weeellll, I don't see flight 1290 coming from Seattle, ma'am...but there is a flight 1920 coming from Chicago...and it's running an hour late"

('But I'm not expecting anyone from Chicago') she's thinking...a worried look clouds her face...

"Ma'am, are you all right?" He asks...the concerned look on his face brings her back ...

"Oh, uh, umm, yes...I'm all right, thank you. From Chicago, in an hour? Oh, uh, umm, yes, thank you"...her voice trails off into bewilderment...

('I have to get some water'). She remembers with shock that there is no way to reach him now.... This cloak~ and~ dagger rendezvous didn't have a back up for 'just in case'...('ohhh, what a pair WE are!') She can't help but laugh at herself: "Miss Think of Everything BUT a **** Plan B".

('What is really going on?')

And then there's that eerie 'presence' again. Not the first time she's felt it.... And an unwelcomed thought plants itself in her mind "you ain't s'posed to meet this man, girl... go home!"

Her eyes are fixed on people passing, but she doesn't really see them. She's vaguely aware of screaming children and voices on the P.A. system...but she can't hear full volume, any more.

In a vacuum, and frozen where she sits with the 10 oz. bottled water she bought for $2.35 (sheer robbery!)... seems like someone presses a button somewhere and she watches as all movement slows to a halt...

Travelers stand like statues in mid-sentence....a little boy's balled up piece of paper is hovering over the trash can...everyone is posed as they were a moment ago ~ but there is no sign of life in them...

But she can can move.... ('what the hell is happening?')

Nervously, she sips her water. It is curiously sweet. A moment ago, it tasted like high priced bottled water. She rises from her seat and runs to the huge windows that look out over the tarmac, to see any signs of normalcy. Nobody's moving...an airplane mechanic is hanging precariously as he was, frozen in mid-leap from a ladder to the ground..

She turns about quickly because someone has brushed against her...('I KNOW it, I FELT it and I'm shaking ~ THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!')

Turning from side to side, around, and back again... she demands, "Who's there!?" There is a scent, robust and very appealing....as she moves away from the window it gets stronger...

Weaving between people of stone, she walks in the direction of this haunting fragrance....

('He is here') ...is all she knows....is all she hears in her mind...

('Over there!')...her inner voice cries out....her pace quickens...

Her heart begins to race and she runs toward ...destiny?...

At that moment she is immediately aware that she has never been more certain about anything..

"Here I am"...as clear as a bell...and slowly, as if a veil is being
    lifted from her eyes, she sees him...

He is smiling...the way she's seen him smile a thousand times in her mind's eye....his eyes are dancing..laughing!...and she is running

('Ohhhh my Love, let's trip the lights fantastic!')...she shouts inside her mind, and instantly he opens his arms...

She falls deeply...

and she keeps falling...the falling is filled with scenes that flash in panoramic splendor before her eyes...inside his eyes...

... Suddenly, she's pushed from behind, and realizes she's been standing in someone's way, "I'm so sorry; excuse me"...she says, embarrassed....

"That's ok"...the stranger tosses over his shoulder as he disappears into the bustling crowd...

Standing in front of the monitors, ...she notices that Flight 1290 from Seattle to LAX is running late...45 minutes to wait...

('hmmm I'm getting thirsty...I always get thirsty when I'm
    nervous...guess I'll go get one of those skyway robbery bottled waters while I wait') she muses to herself....

Sitting in a seat strategically positioned in front of Gate 36A...she watches a young mother struggle with her baby in a stroller... smiles at them and feels so thankful that isn't her ordeal...no no, not today!

Sipping her water...('*it tastes kinda sweet*')...there is a peculiar gust of wind in the great rotunda of the airport...and a faint, but familiar fragrance blows past her nose...

She glances at her watch....11:15...

Flight 1290 has not yet landed...but it's waiting 5 miles out...just north of the Forum...('hi baby....that you?')

She's warm inside...feeling herself looking out the window of his plane...thinking his thoughts as fast as he sends them to her...she is in his mind... he is in hers....she is by his side...she can see the cars below...she can hear the engines roar, and she thinks... ('yes I'm a little nervous... thank you for coming earlier...')

This holding pattern is like no other....telepathically they are bound, and in an instant ~ new AND familiar feelings rush through her like a whelming flood...he's touching her again....

He finally appears as the passengers file off the plane at Gate36A...He is so incredibly beautiful and all hers....she rises and they greet each other with open arms

....and fall deeply..... (they're still falling)....
    ....it's a perfect, three-point landing...

Alyce, (c) 2000

2. GwenDee

GwenDee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Love/Fate

This piece I enjoyed - the love/fate connection. Are we with who we are fated to be with - or is it just timing? I want to know what happens - should she have followed that inner voice to run out of the airport?

:D

3. Bert

Bert Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I, too

am intrigued by the question of destiny vs. timing. Should she have fled the terminal? Or was it ordained to "be"? If so, then there is no question that she should have stayed; she had no choice. And in that case, having no choice are we to assume that everything before and after their meeting was already written? And if so....any and every other circumstance and situation is therefore rendered essential on in that those sequences of events served to bring them to that place.

Rambling, here. But this story sparked many questions about destiny vs. timing. And whether we accept consequences even if there comes a moment 'in time' to revisit, change, or re-arrange some things. Not trying to suggest to change a thing, here....you have just provoked much thought. I enjoyed this immensely, Miss A.

BRB

4. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Alyce.....

I enjoyed this piece, my imagination
    went to the airport, to her thoughts
    to her feelings....I felt this story......well done!

Epiphany :heart:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this took me on the flight by imagination and the fate of lovin
    what a story that had a beautiful landing ..very nice

6. true love

true love Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    this piece was just off the hook...it was like i was there...and it was disturbing, interesting and romantic all at the same time...i haven't read a short piece this good in a while...thanks so much for sharing.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    still coming down from this sweet release

8. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    I agree with true love's comment, "it was disturbing, interesting and romantic all at the same time..." I can't believe I missed this one. Back then, I kept my butt in the Short Stories forum. O' Well, I'm glad I caught it this time around.

Great write A, as usual

Cocobutterskyn