Science and Technology : 3-D food printer; could it end world hunger?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MsInterpret, May 22, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    NASA awards grant for 3-D food printer; could it end world hunger?

[​IMG]
    Call it food for thought. Or perhaps thought for food: NASA has given a six-month grant to a company developing what could be the world’s first 3-D food printer. And the project’s developer, reports Quartz, an online digital news site, believes the invention could be used to end world hunger.
    Quartz explains that the printer is the brainchild of mechanical engineer Anjan Contractor. Being developed by Contractor’s company, Systems & Materials Research Corp., it will use proteins, carbohydrates and sugars to create edible food products.
    Contractor says one of his primary motivations is a belief that food will become exponentially more expensive in the near future. The average consumer, he told Quartz, will need a more economically viable option.
    Some alternative food source options that may be used with the printer include algae, duckweed, grass, lupine seeds, beet leaves and even insects, according to TNO Research, which is working with Contractor on the project.
    “I think, and many economists think, that current food systems can’t supply 12 billion people sufficiently,” said Contractor. “So we eventually have to change our perception of what we see as food.”
    One of Contractor’s first prototypes will be a 3-D pizza printer, and he hopes to begin building it over the next couple of weeks. Contractor, reports Quartz, explained that it will print "a layer of dough, which is baked at the same time it’s printed, by a heated plate at the bottom of the printer. Then it lays down a tomato base, 'which is also stored in a powdered form, and then mixed with water and oil.'" Lastly comes the "protein layer."
    Contractor also hopes that people will be able to share recipes via an open source coding system.
    “One of the major advantages of a 3-D printer is that it provides personalized nutrition,” Contractor told Quartz. “If you’re male, female, someone is sick—they all have different dietary needs. If you can program your needs into a 3-D printer, it can print exactly the nutrients that person requires.”
    NASA is certainly a believer: The six-month grant comes to $125,000. The agency specifically interested in using the 3-D printer to feed astronauts on long space voyages.
    READ MORE: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/nasa-awards-grant-3d-food-printer-could-end-194050661.html

2. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I'm for anything that can feed hungry people.

If we/they wanted to we/they could end world hunger yesterday. This is a distraction on what should be addressed IMO.

Does this print water? We live in a day when no one on earth should be without food and water, yet there are people without food and water.

I'm trying to picture a person suffering from hunger having a touchscreen and 3-D printer in the middle of a barren land.

This is the real reason behind this. Like the military inspired dried/powder just add water food and cell phones. The 3-D printer will become a consumer phenomenon in next 5 to 10 years.

I wonder will there still be world hunger in the next 5 to 10 years?

Maybe we could tackle all suffering.

I'm looking at this map and I noticed the "hunger" is pretty much concentrated to certain regions. Hmm I wonder will the 3-D printer change the dynamics of this map in the future???
    [​IMG]

Now this is the 2009 map, it looks the same to me. I'm quite sure an impact on world hunger could have showed up on this map. I don't this is an accident. I don't see how the 3-D printer is going to changed the map. If it does I could only hope for the future
    [​IMG]

3. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Africa has no hunger problem, Africa has a "I dont like that dude across the street for no reason " problem! When Black folks there embrace unity, and forget their petty differences, hunger there will be over within a week! Nations will nationalize their resources, keeping those trillions in the continent instead of in European hands, and they would also stop allowing land grabs of fertile farm land!

4. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The sad thing is why does all this , what we see as good stuff have to come from military contractors; one can only imagine what they will do with it http://systemsandmaterials.com/

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    :SuN020: fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables…...

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    The potential waste savings would be pretty welcomed, even if people only use it for emergencies/short-falls.

7. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    The food we eat now is NO GOOD. Photocopying it will do no good....

That's like feeding a dying dog, spoiled meat...........

Nice thought, but they've already messed up the world's food supply by introducing all of this artificial garbage into the mainstream........which kills you slower than starvation will, but still kill you.

So we're down to picking which way we want to die huh?

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I'm thinking it will be similar to cloned meat.

9. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    That is true! 30% of the processed food gives no info regarding source. When body parts for transplant are made they come from the patients genetic material, but printed meat?....too gross to imagine or maybe they did back then

10. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447

When both you and Chinelo put it in perspective....:puke: