Black Positive People : 2nd Annual "Girls Who Rule The World" Mentoring Weekend

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Sep 14, 2011.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Harvey Foundation Empowers Young Women With Mentoring Weekend

First Posted: 8/29/11 06:37 PM ET Updated: 9/12/11 10:45 AM ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/29/harvey-foundation-empowers-young-women_n_940989.html

....Steve Harvey’s wife, Marjorie, who is gearing up for her second annual Girls Who Rule The World Mentoring Weekend on Oct. 28-30 in Atlanta, Ga. Hosted by the Steve & Marjorie Harvey Foundation, the three-day event aims to help 100 diverse teenage girls from the metro-Atlanta area navigate their way through the societal pressures of teenage life, including teenage pregnancy and prostitution.
    Choosing Atlanta as the event's location for the second consecutive year was a no-brainer for Mrs. Harvey. According to statistics, Georgia ranks number one in teenage girl high school dropouts and third in the nation for teenage prostitution. “That was the reason why I started it here. The statistics here in Georgia were just alarming,” she told The Huffington Post.
    “To me it’s just a moral responsibility that we have, we’ve got to start doing something, each and every person that can," she added. "I’m doing what I can, but that means you and any and everybody else that will get involved, we’ve got to get involved in these girls lives to get them to understand regardless of what mistakes that you’ve made, we’re here and we can move forward and turn things around.” >>>>>>

2. Wisdumb

Wisdumb Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    If these teen girls can be won over to the idea that they'll make more money as college graduates than as prostitutes, than I'd say the program will be a tremendous success.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Yep, the Harvey's are doing good work with our your women and men:

[​IMG]

http://girlswhoruletheworld.org/aboutus/top100.html

Our Mission: