Black Poetry : **********

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by lowkey, Sep 18, 2004.

1. lowkey

lowkey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    N-eva
    I-gnorant
    G-ettin
    G-oals
    A-ccomplished

I am a *****
    Despite what u think and feel
    I am a *****
    Taking the word and making it real
    Whats up my *****?
    My neva ingnorant gettin goals accomplished brotha
    Gettin them paper stacks rolling round in dat BMW wit chrome rims smothered
    In that big house supporting his family
    Call me a *****? ****.. I'll accept it gladly
    Taking the title from the oppressor and redressing it with a greater value instead of lesser
    I am a *****
    Creating my own meaning
    Fueled off my own ambition
    I am the definition of success and non conformity
    **********.... that black abnormity
    Black sheep, Black Star
    Why does Black have to be the prefix to what I am and who u are?
    Fuucck that.. I am a *****
    Bigga.. than the "man"
    Not robbing stores.. pulling triggers.. but all in all I am STILL a **********
    But in a different way...
    A way acceptable for me
    For u to look upon and emulate my swagger
    No longer is the word ***** a negative dagger in the hearts of our people
    Peep through that peep hole and re-evaluate yo stance
    As the rest of our demographic remains in a trance
    Lets uplift eachother and denounce the negative connotation of the word
    Cause it won't go away.. it will only stay in our speech
    Since it will neva go away I'm a shout it loud.. I am a **********!
    The new definition is in my reach
    N-eva
    I-gnorant
    G-ettin
    G-oals
    A-ccomplished
    I am a ********** now re-read what I wrote and be ashtonished....

:flamet: :flamet: :flamet:

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I've heard this protrayed before. The argument is you can't change a negative into a positive and feel you can use it without the same street vulgarity it portrays. The word is what it is.

Used by us against ourselves, and this new use won't change the mind of our oppressor. What it does do is give him carte blanch. Again to feel free to say it to my face. Thinking I believe it means some term of endearment. The word is something he lost. See while we do use it regularly. He isn't allowed to do so. So turning it into what the new HIP-HOP community would like to make it. Would give some who would otherwise hold you back.. the idea that you now accept, what he says. While you find it a term of endearment. What do you think he doing? Laughing!

:bomb: More power to you. I did like the flow.

3. lowkey

Ratings:
    +6
    I knew I would get this response.....

I will not argue... I just decided to put a different twist on it.

Take what u want from it ppl...... I spoke my piece

This argument will go on for ages....

-lowkey

4. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    *Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished - Tupac Shakur R.I.P.

What do you want us to do?

Despite what u think and feel
    Taking the word and making it real

It is real. Over used. But see it isn't engrained as part of my vocabulary.

One does not need to be ignorant. But taking a negative word trying to empower it accomplishes what?

" Taking the title from the oppressor and redressing it with a greater value " instead of lesser "

This word won't add a single job.
    This word won't pay the rent.
    What value does it add.

Tupac.. was not ignorant. Tupac got goals accomplished. As much as I like him. I find it hard to believe he wanted this to become the battle cry of black american's.

" A way acceptable for me
    For u to look upon and emulate my swagger " A man walks upright. A street thug swaggers. Is this what you believe our children should emulate. Its hard enough for a educated black man to get ahead. Now the swagger?

That is young thinking. As a young man. Play with with young man things. As a man put away the toys, and accept responsibility.

" Lets uplift each other " and denounce the negative connotation of the word
    Cause it won't go away.. it will only stay in our speech

Only if we choose to let it reamin. We used to not use it.

" Since it will never go away " It will never take hold like this. You do know there is this fire storm surrounding it now. Those with limited thinking believe this word will change something and those who know it won't know it takes more than words.

" Brother must protect our women , be real to our women." TUPAC

Get jobs or create jobs. Volunteer. Clean up a community. Chase the drug dealers and gang bangers out. Tupac did a lot for the community. He gave and help build centers.

Tupac.. lived like this. " Live for something or die for nothing."

5. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    It is in a rap. Lowkey I'm not attacking you. Do you really believe we should adopt this word? It won't change the oppressor. if anything I say we take it back, silence and word not use it ourselves. Once a judge or court make precedent that the word isn't offensive because we use it everyday to show terms of endearment.. and what ever in songs and like and seem to take no offense. It becomes LAW. Sets the stage to be the rule. Nothing can shake things once a precedent is made or set.

It will be hard very hard. Impossible so sue a employer for calling you that. Referring to you this way. getting away with it. They would love to tie our hands on discrimination suits.This acceptance would give them that.

Think about it. I have. The man just hasn't done this yet.

Peace. I think your flow will be allowed. It wasn't to offend anyone. Just expressing myself bro. :wave:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  6. lowkey

Ratings:
    +6
    Wut u sayin makes sense n all but be a realist

I dont feel like goin back n forth rite now but.....

The word is here to stay.. if it were to go away it would have been gone years ago.

Its too bad but thats life... if u walk around and shun every person who uses the word (which is ppl in ur OWN family..in ur community.. ppl u come in contact with) then what does that make u?

Saving the worlds mindset should not be your mission because honestly.... things like this won't go away. Like Pac.. I just wanted to introduce it in a diff light.. u kno, put a spin on it. Take what u want out of it.... there really is no right or wrong

Those words of Tupac inspired me to write this flow tru indeed..but I don't look up to the image he portrayed.

As far as the man walking and the boy swaggering thing.. u reading too deep into things. Relax.

If u think u can change the world then fine... like they want u to believe "evey vote counts"

In reality u fighting a losing battle. This flow wasnt intended to start a war on the word ***** or ******. It was just how I was feeling at the time.. let me be entitled to that

7. lowkey

Ratings:
    +6
    I see where u coming from brotha

nothing but love

:)

-lowkey

8. HODEE

United States
    (RF) Technician
    Ratings:
    +795
    I like your last post.. You are a wise man. A opened minded man willing to see truth. A man with vision.

Every vote does count. Many others have bought that game. After we vote. The electoral college meets and decides in Dec. Who will really be President. Based on the peoples choice. So your vote does get counted.

BUSH can win the electorial.. but lose the popular.. and still not be president.
    The electorial does make the final decision.. but theymust do what the people want, or we will protest. It also give Kerry an avenue to win.. VOTE please!

Read the post Bro. Aqil posted about Voting. I put a post explaining the college and how it works.

I take no offense Lowkey. I'm not trying to change the world. I'm a ghetto born black boy grown into a wiser man. See I know my enemy. I plan like my enemy. Then I take his advantage.

" The word is here to stay.. " if it were to go away it would have been gone years ago.

You may be right. It may be here to stay. But if you can see my point about what would happen if the law said it is no longer offensive. Your boss would be like tell that N***** to pick up those boxes. Referring to you as a never ignorant getting goals accomplished kind of man. :deal: HUH?

Now the swagger. Then the crouch hold. I never did it. Never will. Richard Pryer .. said ( white guy asking ) Why you guy's always hold your thing? .. His joke punch line was " Cause you all took everything else. "

During the 1800's they did just that. It was a form of punishment. To shove your private parts in your mouth. Leaving you hanging from a tree. They would keep some as trophys. Did you not know this?

So I don't swagger, dont look down on the breathn that does. Never held my self when I walked. Never looked down on the brother that does.

One will not get with my daugther. Because the dogs.. within the masses play this way.

" It was just how I was feeling at the time.. let me be entitled to that "

Read this.. you are entitled! We atre just sharing thoughts. I did like yourflow like I said. In another post i admitted it was in a flow and wasn't to offend anyone. Peace bro. :deal: Flow on!

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Hi Brother Lowkey ... :love: ... Welcome Home!

I think it's a really good thing when our poetry encourages discussion, so don't feel any negative kinda way because your poetry did this Brother Lowkey. Many of our greatest poet's work, from many years ago, is still being talked about amongst us. From what i understand, that's what makes a great poet even greater! :wink:

Brother HODEE ... i wanted to squeeze in here and let you know that the precedent has already been set, according to an article by DaveyD, which he gave me permission to post here in our community. Based on the article, a San Jose judge found a White guy not guilty of a hate crime, because he used the "friendly version" of the N word, when he called his Black teacher the N word spelled with an "A" at the end, instead of the "ER."

You can read the entire article here:

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62977&postcount=9

Much Love and Peace Family.

:heart:

Destee

10. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    wonderful discussion
    my two brothers