Black People : 25 Years Later: Tawanna Brawley

Well, if her mother's history of picking men stays close to the one she had then, I don't see Tawana's biological father being a much better candidate for fatherhood than her step-father was.

And, I don't recall any mention of her biological father.

Moreover, if the mother KNEW Tawana was in their old apartment, then she wasn't frantic about her. ---- But, they did have to figure how to keep her protected from her step-father.

I'm not sure WHEN the mother actually reported her daughter missing.

But, remember, Tawana had run away before.

I think the mother probably checked with Tawana's friends, looked for her in the neighborhood..... and finally found her at their old apartment.

Then, maybe they cooked up the rape story together.

But after all the media attention and legal ramifications and MONEY started rolling in, then they ALL had to stick to the "rape story."

And they ALL have for 25 years.

You raise some interesting points.

That was a doozey of a rape story too. If I were in Tawanna's place, I wouldn't want to be around her Step-father either. It sounds like a terrible situation to have to live in.

You raise some interesting points.

That was a doozey of a rape story too. If I were in Tawanna's place, I wouldn't want to be around her Step-father either. It sounds like a terrible situation to have to live in.

As of 2007, the 20th anniversary, Tawana's mother and that same man were still together. They may still be together now.

..... Yes, a part of me does have some compassion for Tawana considering the dysfunctional home she came from.

....But, with such a "doozey of a rape story" and little to no corroborating evidence, it looks and sounds like a lie.

And the only "cover up" I see is the "cover up" of a lie.

However, with all the media and her supporters and the money, they probably decided (or were perhaps even advised) to stick to the rape story..... FOREVER.

If it ever conclusively came out to be a lie, the repercussions of such would harm and hurt a lot of people who supported her back then.

....Spike Lee even mentioned his support in a scene in his 1989 movie, "Do The Right Thing." >>>>

tumblr_lfcwk3Pk681qe010xo1_1280.jpg

Chevron Dove

One has to also take into account the racial climate in NY in the 1980s.

Before Tawana Brawley came on the scene, there had been previous race riots and other racial incidents in NY as well as an already in place distrust of the NY police dept and court system.

Accusations of corruption, some real, some false, had been levied against the NY police and court system.

So, in 1987, this alleged "rape case" was another thing to latch onto citing police and court corruption.

This "rape case" became a witch hunt. 'Seemed like any/every white man could also be accused of being either involved in the rape or involved in a "cover up" protecting the alleged rapists.

And any Black person who spoke against Tawana was labeled an "Uncle Tom" and in cahoots/conspiring with the corrupted white folks.

On the other side, the white folks called the black folks who supported Tawana a buncha "race baiters."

So, this whole case was quite a circus.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back