Black Entertainment : 2081 (or: Everyone Will Finally Be Equal)

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Ikoro, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    (NB: Don't watch the trailer for this, it will ruin the whole experience.)

2081: A stunning adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's chilling short story “Harrison Bergeron,” 2081 is set in a dystopian future so stifled by mandated egalitarianism that no one can think, no one can love, and no one can register how much they have been dehumanized by social engineering.

Peace fam.

I have just watched a movie that I found very refreshing. It's white made (I saw at most 2 black people in it, doing nothing) and totally eurocentric (see my post below). but MY GOD was it beautiful.

If you haven't seen it, DON'T READ ABOUT IT JUST SEE IT FIRST. IF YOU SAIL TO A BAY WHERE THERE ARE PIRATES, THEY HAVE IT THERE.

The editing, music, cast (except for the long haired white guy maybe), shooting (angles, colors, garments) were absolutely fabulous. Whereas Avatar (phooey) was loved for its 3d etc, this narrative short will be loved (by the few who understand it) for its lack of 3d and CGI (Brother JamesFromPhilly go and see this, I would like your take on this one).

The story is really what moves it forward (it is only 20 minutes but so beautifully shot), but please go and see it.

It is just a beautiful tale about how we are all living in societies where we all suffer from the tall-poppy syndrome and are crabs in a barrel.

Here's an IMDB link (see the flick before reading anything about it first, surprise yourself! I implore you): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282015/

My comments (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE PLOT) follow below.

One,

- Ikoro

2. Ikoro

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    SPOILERS AHEAD: DONT READ THIS POST UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT RUIN THE EXPERIENCE.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The movie was, to me, very captivating. But an Afrikans mind (such as myself) is always at work when topics like these are raised. And through the whole movie, despite the beautiful feelings this movie invoked I kept thinking: maaan, these whites are STILL trippin.

No matter what topic, no matter what era, no matter what the vision - white people have the magical ability to turn everything into eurocentric hogwash that doesn't make sense if you have EVER travelled outside your countries borders to a non-white majority country/place or if you are NOT WHITE and fairly INTELLIGENT.

It's like, the whole premise is actually DEEP - but in this movie it is at most CUTE. Id est; everybody's getting their brain messed up if their too smart, I can dig that. What about retarded kids? Do they get boosters of some sort? What about uneducated minorities, do THEY get boosters? Or maybe they want to tell me that everybody (peasants, builders, musicians and scientists) is equally smart (see: stupid).

But what does Afrika look like (granted, the movie takes place in the United States but I can't help but beg the question)? Does the world give that kind of technology to intelligent people in Namibia too (I guess they just assumed we would all understand that the world truly is equal, and that we are equally oppressed by the government)? I mean, this is heavy technology - they just GAVE that to us, India, China etc? And did we agree that this was the best solution or did they AFRICOM the whole scene and force us into it? We ain't even living comfortable (so called) in boxes (houses) like we do here in the west back Home. I only saw white people in that movie so wonder we're asking. And how did they shower with all that on?

And they also say that nobody is stronger than anyone else (everybody got weights on them right) - that's funny to me. What kind of weights did they put on us? They must be the biggest ones right. And what about manual labour, or child labour? Do they have weights? Where are the secret governments and sects? The movie cold have touched on that - we know SOMEBODY is running this and it ain't the white gurl (handicap general or whatever).

And finally... why BALLET? Seriously, of all dances that were supposed to portray the great human spirit or fine art... they went with ballet? I've never like it, and this movie didn't help. I'm not saying they should have had berimbao's and done capoeira either but... come on. There had to be something else...?

These kind of question make me out to be some stupid critic that question every aspect of the movie and that can sometimes ruin an otherwise great theatrical journey, but I really did enjoy this - but the intellectual in me kept asking hard questions. Feel me?

That's my five cents, now I got to find the soundtrack - I was feeling that orchestra tune they was playing at the end.

One,

- Ikoro

3. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    cant find movie... trailer looked ok...

everywhere I look though, there seems to be road blocks

:10500:

4. Ikoro

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    There are avenues, depending on what you are looking for. For example, there is no streaming of this movie yet - and quite possibly never will be due to its esoteric nature :p Did you not anchor at the... bay, dear.... pirate?

One,

- Ikoro