Black People : 20 Year Old Millionaire-Very Encouraging!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Apr 11, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    BV Profile: Farrah Gray, Millionaire
    by Janet Alicea, Special to AOL BlackVoices

http://bv.channel.aol.com/newsmain/canvas_directory/feature_article?id=20050324134909990001

Farrah Gray -- 20-year-old entrepreneur, venture capitalist and self-made millionaire -- likes recipes. That’s why one of his favorite sayings is, "If they’re going to give me lemons, then I’m going to make lemonade, lemon pie." This proved handy. Raised in the projects of South Chicago, Gray learned at an early age how to make any sour ball sweet.

"People tell me, 'Boy, you were just born yesterday.' I always say, ‘Yes, but I stayed up all night,'" says Gray, the author of 'Reallionaire: Nine Steps to Becoming Rich From the Inside Out.' He brings this clear-cut, frontal perspective to everything he does.

The list of Gray’s accomplishments in a week is dizzying. Shuttling between offices in New York and Las Vegas, he manages businesses in both cities. Currently, he publishes Inner City magazine, owned by Inner City Broadcasting Corp. (ICBC), parent company to radio station WBLS. He sits on the advisory board of the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce (he was the youngest person ever to do so) and the National Association of Realtors. In addition, he heads the Farrah Gray Foundation, which he funds to support community initiatives and provide seed money for youth entrepreneurial projects. And through it all he maintains a healthy social life.

"I believe there is a recipe for success," Gray says. For him, that means wanting change. "Comfort is the enemy of achievement," he says. "I was just familiar with struggle. The ghetto life makes everybody uptight."

His first venture came at age 6, when he created his own blend of body lotion by mixing the remains of near-empty bottles he found in his bathroom. He renamed the product FG Enterprises and sold it door to door for $1.50. That earned him $9. To celebrate, he took his mom out for Chinese food. "In the 'hood there's not much. We don’t lack brain power. We lack [the funds] and the resources," he says. "We don’t have any rich relatives, and if we did, they’ve moved out."

So he set out to learn from the pros. Using homemade business cards he began carrying at age 7 that read 'Farrah Gray, 21st century CEO," he approached local business people about supporting UNEEC (Urban Neighborhood Economic Enterprise Club), a club in which he and his friends could learn about business and entrepreneurship. Guests became mentors and future business contacts. "My friends were getting arrested for taking stuff from the store. I decided … I wasn’t. I figured the same knowledge I would have of being a drug dealer is the same knowledge I would have of buying wholesale and selling retail," he says.

Shortly after forming UNEEC, Gray persuaded some local businesspeople to lend the group money to invest. They made $15,000. "In the 'hood we wanted entrepreneurship just as much as we needed it," he says. Gray believes you must know your market. That's why at 13 he began his first company, FarrOut Foods, where he sold his grandmother’s strawberry-vanilla maple syrup. "My grandmother used to make all of our syrup from scratch because we couldn’t afford it," he says. That netted him his first million dollars. At the same time, he funded the Farrah Gray Foundation with company profits. Other successful business ventures have included Kidzel calling cards (prepaid calling cards that allow children to phone home for free from anywhere in the world) with telecommunications giant WorldTel.

Despite all the success, Gray still seems surprised by it. He likes to go undercover as food editor for Inner City, just so he can try different restaurants. Not that he needs to. "Now I can order the lobster on the menu," says Gray. "That’s the big ghetto meal.

About the Author Janet Alicea is a freelance journalist living in Brooklyn. She writes frequently on marketing, media and advertising targeting minorities.

Feb. 4, 2005

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ................................LeBron and Carmelo were 20 year-old millionaires!

CD

3. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Hard work my ***....

From what I've seen of this world, I'm convinced that some people just got that Midas touch and are destined to be rich no matter what their background is.

I know people who are pretty clever, work hard, and the more money they make the more responsibilities (kids, cars, mates, hospital bills, sued) they seem to accumilate to eat up their money.

They try to start a business and a wild possum sneaks in and burns the place down.

Then you got people who never held a job in their life and just fall into money either illegally, through entertainment, or a law suit.

They get rich selling pizzas out the trunk of thier car like Master P.

4. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Age aint nothing but a number..you can be whoever/what you wanna be..the sky is the limit !

5. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for sharing.

6. DCBob

DCBob Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep. Thanks for sharing a you are right that news is very encouraging. Everyone keep up the good work.

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    this is what my GF would want me to be.

However I do not care to dedicated my life to earning material possessions that can leave at any minute. I prefer that my spirit man is in order.

I guess that is why we have so many issues now, our humanity is no longer based on our character and our spirit like it was in Alkebulan, but now we have adopted the humantiarian Idea of America and the European, and that is basing peoples humanity off of employement.

This one of the biggest human rights violations in history and it occurs daily in this country and in the Western world.

8. 707

707 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh. I'm so impressed!!!!

I'm going to go out of my way now to be like this brother. I'll dispense with religion, I'll marry a white girl (or one who behaves like one) and I'll even cut corners, lie, cheat, steal -- heck I'll dispense with my integrity for the promise of fleeting grace and comfort while my body degrades with age. I'll unwittingly hand my soul over without so much as a fight, totally ignoring the words of Christ just so as some braindead negroes can marvel as white people hold me up as a model of success.

/sarcasm

9. Kingpin

Kingpin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Soooo......... are you saying he is a sellout because he made something of himself!!!

How is that if someone does good they are selling themselves out. Get the huge chip off of your shoulder and give credit where credit is due....

How did he ignore the words of Christ. I would like to point out one very important passage to you my friend. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Are you so pure that you can put others down????

10. 707

707 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Christ also said one must NOT follow the ways of the gentile. Either you're going to listen to him or you're not. The choice is yours to make and this "bettered" brother made his.