Black Authors : 1984 by George Orwell - December 2004

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Destee, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

We finished last week's book in record time! I do hope you all enjoyed it. We will be starting a new one next week, as outlined below.

Book of the Month for December, 2004

1984 by George Orwell

Click Here To Get The Book Online - FREE - 1984

WHEN: Every Thursday @ 8 pm ET

WHERE: Destee Voice Chat Room

BOOK DESCRIPTION

In 1984, Winston Smith lives in London which is part of the country Oceania. The world is divided into three countries that include the entire globe: Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia. Oceania, and both of the others, is a totalitarian society led by Big Brother, which censors everyone’s behavior, even their thoughts. Winston is disgusted with his oppressed life and secretly longs to join the fabled Brotherhood, a supposed group of underground rebels intent on overthrowing the government. Winston meets Julia and they secretly fall in love and have an affair, something which is considered a crime. One day, while walking home, Winston encounters O'Brien, an inner party member, who gives Winston his address. Winston had exchanged glances with O'Brien before and had dreams about him giving him the impression that O'Brien was a member of the Brotherhood. Since Julia hated the party as much as Winston did, they went to O'Brien’s house together where they were introduced into the Brotherhood. O'Brien is actually a faithful member of the Inner-Party and this is actually a trap for Winston, a trap that O'Brien has been cleverly setting for seven years. Winston and Julia are sent to the Ministry of Love which is a sort of rehabilitation center for criminals accused of thoughtcrime. There, Winston was separated from Julia, and tortured until his beliefs coincided with those of the Party. Winston denounces everything he believed him, even his love for Julia, and was released back into the public where he wastes his days at the Chestnut Tree drinking gin.

HOW OUR ONLINE BOOK CLUB WORKS

We meet every Thursday @ 8 pm ET, and everyone that has a copy of the book is welcome to read portions of it to those present. This allows for everyone to have benefit of "reading" the book, even if they don't have it in their possession, by listening to it be read. We generally read for about an hour, but oftentimes the book is so good, we aren't quite ready to stop! We take turns reading, and if time allows, we may discuss what we read during each weekly book chat session. While this book has been chosen for the month of December, 2004, we will read it until we're finished, even if that requires us to go into the next month. Everyone is encouraged to post to this thread, their thoughts, opinions, etc., regarding the book as we progress through it. If you've already read this book and would like to share your thoughts of it, you are welcome to do so in this thread as well.

:read: Please Join Us! :read:

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family !!!

I'm excited about starting this book! We read this same author last week, and finished that book (Animal Farm) in record time.

Brother OldSoul prepared us for this book during his weekly online class by presenting "The Principles of NEWSPEAK" to us. This is the "language" used in this book.

I'm looking forward to reading this book, written in 1949, that speaks of a totalitarian government ... which many say we're headed straight for! At least we can learn what to look for, determine how much of our lives is already being controlled by "Big Brother" and compare what is happening now to what George Orwell wrote about.

Is that where the phrase "Big Brother" comes from? This book?

Interesting.

:book: Hope to see you with us! :book:

Desee

3. Kunta_Warrior

Kunta_Warrior Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Some say we're already there! :D

4. JoWillie

JoWillie Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree

Read the book when I was in 6th grade, I am an avid reader. Back then 1984 seemed so far away..unimaginable to a 6th grader and the book was frigthening to me then. I couldn't imagine being watched 24/7 and people being able to peek into your homes and private life whenever they wanted to. Never dreamed that the day would come when all this would be possible-right now today--privacy is a myth. We're numbered (social security numbers), labeled (vital records) and documented (death certificates) from birth to death just to point to the obvious.

The book had a profound effect on me then and is more real then ever to me now. I'm glad its being read.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    We're reading again tonight Family ... come on in ... the book is available online for free ... link above ... and we're on Chapter 6.

Brother OldSoul is reading for us!

So come on in!

www.destee.com/chat

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family ... we started this book over again last week. We never finished it, and now that we're just picking it back up, most of those present were not with us last time we attempted to finish this book ... so we started all over again last week.

We'll be meeting again tonight ... right about now ... and we're on Part I - Chapter 4.

The book is available online in its entirety ... http://orwell.ru/library/novels/1984/english/ ... so please join us ... www.destee.com/chat ... maybe even read a paragraph or two! If not, just listen in ... it's very relaxing to hear the voices of the Family.

Destee