African American History Culture : 15,000 sign petition calling for black history museum to include Clarence Thomas

Discussion in 'African American History Culture' started by Liberty, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    upload_2017-3-11_10-29-24.png

A petition is calling on the Smithsonian Institution to rectify the omission of U.S. Supreme Court
    Justice Clarence Thomas from the recently opened National Museum of African American History and Culture.

More than 15,000 people have signed the StandUnited petition, which tells the director of the museum not to “overlook African American leaders like Justice Clarence Thomas” just because they’re conservative.

Read more

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/8/clarence-thomas-petition-15k-sign-museum-african-a/

Clarence Thomas petition: 15K want Museum of African American History and Culture to include him

A petition is calling on the Smithsonian Institution to rectify the omission of Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas from the recently opened Museum of African American History and Culture.
    washingtontimes.com

2. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    In December Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas sent a letter to the director of the African-American history museum asking for the life and accomplishments of the influential jurist to be recognized.

“I am concerned that millions of Americans, of all ages, races, religions, and walks of life, when passing through this museum, will be subjected to a singular and distorted view of Justice Thomas, an African-American who survived segregation, defeated discrimination, and ascended all the way to the Supreme Court,” the letter read.

What Ted Cruz got to do with Clarence.
    Must be his new owner.

3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,301
    That sounds about right....

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,631
    LOL...his new owner.

I don't disagree, put Clarence in the Museum, but when they do, make sure you tell his true story, particularly his historical confirmation hearing with Anita Hill's testimony. Conservative? Yeah, well, it is what it is. I want his list of rulings since being on the Supreme Court recorded and mention of the fact that he's a slime ball and is in denial about being Black--self-hatred to the fullest. And in case you're wondering, no, I don't like him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  5. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    They do! That story is told next to/or on the Anita Hill exhibit:

‘An inspiring story’

The museum does mention one individual tangentially related to Justice Thomas — in the form of a pin-back button reading “I Believe Anita Hill.” Ms. Hill famously accused the jurist of sexual harassment in his 1991 Senate confirmation hearing.

1. Clarence Thomas snubbed by Smithsonian's museum of African ...
      http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/7/clarence-thomas-snubbed-by-smithsonians-museum-of-/ - 149k - Cached - Similar pages

Clarence Thomas snubbed by Smithsonian’s museum of African American history

Of the 112 justices appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court since its inception, only two have been black — and the second one apparently isn’t worth consideration, as far as the new National Museum of African American History and Culture is concerned.
      washingtontimes.com

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,631
    Call me naive but honestly, it confuses me to this day as to how Thomas' appointment to the Supreme Court could ever pass given the extremely raw and sexually explicit testimony by A. Hill. They must have been desperate to appoint: 1. A Black man to the position; and 2. A conservative, married to a white woman, live in constant denial about being a Black man. To me, it's a perfect example of how some men will stick together on some things, no matter what the charge and when it comes to sex, men often get a pass. There sat a Black man, in front of Congress, being accused by a Black woman of sexual harassment at its worst and he still sits in an active seat as a judge in the highest court in this country. Talk about sick! (smh)

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Fireman

Fireman Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yes, put him in there but in a private section just for him. Then tell of how he tried to undo all of the accomplishments and gains made by those blacks and whites who struggled, got beat, got murdered, etc. trying to give blacks and others as well, their freedoms and liberties that had been denied them for over 300 years.

• List
  8. Symbol of America

Symbol of America Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    Not only are your two the only "Excellent comments" on this thread but the "Most logical and coherent comments" NNQueen and Fireman. I sincerely thank and commend you. However I disagree with the underlying theme of this thread on two points in fairness to all those of our race, the good, the bad and the ugly if you will. Anita Hill's only claim to fame were her personal allegations of sexual impropriety lodged against Clarence Thomas. The legal recourse available to her was reporting same to the law enforcement agency within it's jurisdiction the alleged crime occurred in. The investigation resulted in a no petition for a bill of criminal indictment. As legitimate as they were believed to be they were in no way, shape or form a furtherance of Black Americans progress. Anita Hills allegations were introduced into the Congressional vetting process and deemed to be unfounded and Clarence Thomas being cleared of such then finally being appointed is not the issue here. Like him or not and I don't like him either but Justice Clarence Thomas is a standing member of our Supreme Court and if any one of us stood before his bench we would without hesitation address him as "Your honor". You don't have to respect the man but proper comportment dictates that you must respect the position like Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. as well as Malcolm-X, Joanne Chesimard, Angela Davis, Reverend Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Shirley Chisholm, Huey Newton, Reverend Jesse jackson Sr., Reverend Al Sharpton, Bill Cosby "Who was another little known old school civil rights pioneer alongside Harry Belafonte. The list is long and quite distinguished and like any other list of notables of all races, creeds, cultures and colors has some taint attached to it. That's what it is to be human and in the eyes of our all knowing GOD we are all human, frailties notwithstanding. I would not be forthright and honest if I didn't say I feel that Justice of the Supreme Court Clarence Thomas deserves to have his display in the back of the Smithsonian Institute next to the dumpster rife with trash, garbage, and other filth we scrape off the bottom of our shoes on a daily basis but in all fairness to the lessor of us like him his qualifications should not in any way diminish his standing amongst our more notable pioneers. Now before my soapbox starts sagging under the weight of my rant I wanna address one more craw in my cap. In our world of fakery, foolishness and fraud Rosa Parks was "NOT" the first Black passenger to have been arrested before the 1955 Montgomery Alabama Bus Boycott. Claudette Colvin was. Five (5) arrest later the only reason the NAACP actually decided to act like an organization that cared for Blacks, oops, Negros was when their volunteer Rosa Parks suffered the indignity of having to share a jail cell with lesser Blacks, oops again, Negros. So let's swap out that fraud of a display too. Thanks for reading. Much luv.

• List
  9. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +888
    Thurgood Marshall..................need I say more?

Let Thomas rest in the museum beside the lost southern cause revisionists he so admires.
    I won't claim him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Symbol of America

Symbol of America Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +1,318

Brother ogoun I can respect that.