Black Entertainment : 14-Year Boycott, Serena Williams Return To Indian Wells

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
After A 14-Year Boycott, Serena Williams Makes Emotional, Triumphant Return To Indian Wells
14264370190548-e1426437380702.jpg

An emotional and visibly tearful Serena Williams made a glorious return to Indian Wells, California at the BNP Paribas Open on Friday, triumphantly taking in the crowd’s cheers and waving American flags, after she defeated Monica Niculescu in two sets (7-5, 7-5).
The atmosphere at Indian Wells on Friday was a very different scene from one 14 years ago, when the crowd booed and jeered the teenaged tennis phenom, and allegedly hurled racial epithets at her, her sister Venus Williams, and her father Richard Williams. At that time, the Williams family said they would never set foot in the stadium again.
In 2001 at Indian Wells, Serena defeated Kim Clijsters of Belgium but was booed by an American crowd after she won over a Belgian.

“When Venus and I were walking down the stairs to our seats, people kept calling me [expletive],” Williams said. “One guy said, ‘I wish it was ’75; we’d skin you alive.’ That’s when I stopped and walked toward that way. Then I realized that (my) best bet was to handle the situation non-violently. I had trouble holding back tears. I think Indian Wells disgraced America.”
http://blackamericans.com/other-new...s-emotional-triumphant-return-to-indian-wells

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author

They dogged her out so bad, it took fourteen years for her to elevate to what she is ... The Queen of Tennis, afraid of nothing. Thanks for sharing this bro. $$RICH$.

After A 14-Year Boycott, Serena Williams Makes Emotional, Triumphant Return To Indian Wells
14264370190548-e1426437380702.jpg

An emotional and visibly tearful Serena Williams made a glorious return to Indian Wells, California at the BNP Paribas Open on Friday, triumphantly taking in the crowd’s cheers and waving American flags, after she defeated Monica Niculescu in two sets (7-5, 7-5).
The atmosphere at Indian Wells on Friday was a very different scene from one 14 years ago, when the crowd booed and jeered the teenaged tennis phenom, and allegedly hurled racial epithets at her, her sister Venus Williams, and her father Richard Williams. At that time, the Williams family said they would never set foot in the stadium again.
In 2001 at Indian Wells, Serena defeated Kim Clijsters of Belgium but was booed by an American crowd after she won over a Belgian.

“When Venus and I were walking down the stairs to our seats, people kept calling me [expletive],” Williams said. “One guy said, ‘I wish it was ’75; we’d skin you alive.’ That’s when I stopped and walked toward that way. Then I realized that (my) best bet was to handle the situation non-violently. I had trouble holding back tears. I think Indian Wells disgraced America.”
http://blackamericans.com/other-new...s-emotional-triumphant-return-to-indian-wells

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
not only did she return but she mastering it
saying:
"I feel like I've already won this tournament," she said. "I don't feel like I have to actually hold the trophy at the end of this. I feel like I'm already holding up a trophy. I have never felt that way before. I feel like just being here is a huge win. Not only for me, but for so many people. It's a wonderful feeling."
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...erena-williams-triumphant-return-indian-wells

A very deeply wounded sister who over came it all with deep emotions and a true champ

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I agree she stated she put it all behind her and trust in God as she returned and this time was a warm welcome
I love her ability and will power to make a different ...what happen today makes her a winner without any trophy

TENNIS GODDESS CHAMPION
her victory is our victory
14982_10153238317371834_5167854274593861712_n.jpg

Winning is not always about winning holding up a trophy. Sometimes you have to face your biggest nightmares head first, and conquer them. For the first time, I don't need a trophy... Because I have already won.

YES SISTER U HAVE !!!

Deacs

Feb 4, 2013
I am happy for her...

Although I would never lend my name to or participate in any event associated with them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black People : MORE REASONS TO BOYCOTT THE NFL Black People Open Forum 5
HODEE Black Sports : Is A Boycott Of Pro Sports Coming? - They Don't Matter Anymore ... It's Here Black Sports 4
G Black Money Business Jobs : Join The Goya Boycott Black Money Business Jobs 1
Fine1952 Black People : Boycott Until It Hurts Black People Open Forum 2
HODEE Black People Politics : Facebook Boycott Gains Momentum Black People Politics 0
Ndugu Black People : No Reason Why we should not have a Nationwide Boycott on Black Friday ova Police Lynching! Black People Open Forum 1
Ndugu Black People : Since we nixed Boycott the Super Bowl, advertizers over police lynching, will we boycott the movies? Black People Open Forum 0
Ndugu Black People : When we get tired of the endless police lynchings we will wage a National Boycott , 30 million of us Black People Open Forum 1
IFE Black People : Calls to boycott Waffle House grow louder Black People Open Forum 37
Destee Black Entertainment : Mo'Nique Calls for a Boycott of Netflix Black Entertainment 9
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : boycott NFL Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : espn-replaces-sage-steele-after calls for boycott Black Sports 4
Kemetstry Black People Politics : INJUSTICE BOYCOTT Black People Politics 3
IFE Law Forum : Boycott Injustice Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Black People Politics : Boycott, Divest and Sanction Corporations That Feed on Prisons Black People Politics 2
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : wnba-players-stage-boycott.... Black Sports 7
Liberty Black People Politics : African-American pastors plan boycott of Emanuel MLK breakfast Black People Politics 0
AACOOLDRE Black Poetry : Blacks in Sports: Spell Boycott Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
RAPTOR South Africa : Polaroid & Apartheid: Inside the Beginnings of the Boycott, Divestment Movement Against South Africa South Africa 0
Alarm Clock Black People : Philly's Ultimatum: Adequately Fund Our Schools or Face City-Wide Boycott Black People Open Forum 4
Alarm Clock Black People : Jay Z, Kanye, Madonna Join Stevie Wonder's Florida Boycott In Wake Of Zimmerman Verdict Black People Open Forum 28
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : we will NOT mount an effective boycott because we are not organized…. Black People Politics 25
RAPTOR Black People : The Power of the Boycott - Max Keiser on Economics 101 Black People Open Forum 1
Alarm Clock Black People : Levert Gving the People What they want, joins Stevie to Boycott Florida Black People Open Forum 5
RAPTOR Black People : SOME ORANGE JUICE COMPANIES IN FLORIDA TO BOYCOTT Black People Open Forum 15
Alarm Clock Black People : OK SO NOW WILL BLACK FOLKS BOYCOTT AND STRIKE, ALL FLORIDA RESORTS AND ATTRACTIONS??? THIS SUMMER??? Black People Open Forum 29
Feather Black Sports : Boycott College Sports Events and Broadcasts? Black Sports 3
Asomfwaa Black People : The Basics Of Boycott Black People Open Forum 41
W Black People : French ELLE Article's Racist Remarks Spark Boycott Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Pop Quiz # 7 Bus Boycott/Civil Rights AACOOLDRE 0
info-moetry Black People : Poster Boycott.............in memory of Dr. King! Black People Open Forum 74
Gorilla Computers - Software Hardware : Android App: "Boycott SOPA" - An App that Helps "Vote" with the Wallet Science and Technology 1
Ankhur Black People Politics : Birmingham boycott successful then, national Boycott successful Now? Black People Politics 1
Ankhur Black People : any one hear about Warren Ballantine's call for a national boycott in Nov??? Black People Open Forum 2
N Black People : Can we BOYCOTT by buying Black? Black People Open Forum 6
B Black People : Black Planet Is A Racist Site - Boycott Black People Open Forum 42
D Black Education / Schools : HBC: British Boycott of Israeli Academic Ties Black Education / Schools 0
D Phones and Apps : BOYCOTT VERIZON, AT&T- CELL PHONES ARE BEING USED TO TRACK US Science and Technology 6
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : K WEST CALLS FOR BOYCOTT OF PEPSI? Black Entertainment 6
Isaiah THE BATON ROUGE BUS BOYCOTT:THE FIRST SUCCESSFUL OF SEGREGATED PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. Honoring Black Ancestors 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : I boycott U ( The Letter on the table) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 29
M Black People : Boycott Cincinnati!!! Black People Open Forum 2
Al D Africa : Serena Williams Quietly Kept Venture Capital Firm's Investment in Nigeria All Things Africa 6
Destee Black Sports : Fans react angrily to 'racist' ban on Serena Williams' catsuit Black Sports 5
Lunar Cycle Black Sports : Serena Pens Heartwarming Letter To Mom Black Sports 0
Lunar Cycle Black Sports : It's Official: Serena Is A Proud Mom Black Sports 0
jamesfrmphilly Black People : serena-williams-joins silicon-valley-board Black People Open Forum 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : Venus and Serena Williams set up all-sisters Australian Open final Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : SERENA GETS ENGAGED Black Entertainment 74
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : Serena Williams speaks out against police violence: ‘I won’t be silent’ Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3