Black People : 12 people close to Mayor Street indicted

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    we elect a black man in Philadelphia and we get corruption and scandal.
    this brother ran the city on a "pay to play" basis.

unemployment is over 10%.
    businesses are shutting down.
    people are moving from the city.

the sad thing is the brother started out 30 years ago as a strong Black nationalist.
    he let himself be turned out. :nono:

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... what's his name?

:heart:

Destee

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    the mayor of Philadelphia is a brother named John Street.
    he started out as an activist with a big afro.
    we marched, we shut down institutions, we fought the cops.
    then the people of north Philly sent John downtown as our councilman.
    after a while it was reported that John was taking an all expense paid vacation to Israel as the guess of a rich Jew.
    next thing we knew, street started taking conservative positions.
    now he was ready to run for mayor.
    after winning the mayors office, he was heard to remark "the brothers and sisters are running the city".
    then he was reported to say about city contracts, "you got to pay to play".
    soon after that, it was noted that 96% of city contracts were secured by white males.
    i, myself was beat out on a contract to supply African art by a white guy.
    yes, an African American was not chosen to supply African art.
    one of the brothers indicted was paying $14k/month RENT on his law office.

meanwhile the city is going down the tubes.
    Street long ago lost his black support and now the whites who loved him have dropped him.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thank you Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... i found an article online talking about this ...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m063004b.htm

it says, "Mayor John F. Street was not among those charged with a crime, but U.S. Attorney Patrick Meehan criticized him for allowing "a culture that breeds corruption"

Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... do you think anyone can be involved in this political system ... be successful in it ... and remain corruption free?

Destee

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    YES!

it is up to the morality of the individual.
    we can not forget our values as soon as we get around white people.
    anyone can stay strong when they are in the 'hood.
    the test is remaining strong when you are faced with all that temptation.
    if we have no black folk who can go downtown with out being turned out we have a serious problem.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thanks Brother JamesFrmPhilly ... can you name some politicians that you trust?

I personally don't have much confidence in the system. It's like laying down with dogs, and expecting not to get fleas on you. While many may have high hopes and strong convictions going in, the system is set-up to buy them, corrupt them, or kick them out if they don't play the game properly.

Perhaps i can focus on the trustworthy politicians you know, to help change my opinion.

Destee

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    Maxine Waters of CA.
    Harold Ford of KY.

it's true that the system is bad.
    it's also true that we live here in the USA.
    if we do not master this bad system we might as well pack up and move out.

i believe there must be Black people who can not be corrupted.
    some where out there is some one who has principles.

8. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    hmph

Philly has always been about pay for play. Rendell did the same thing. I wonder why Street gets the focus though. And although this city has it's downfalls there have been a lot of improvements that weren't seen before. It isn't so much Street as it is some of the people that work under him.

I think that whole statement Street made about the brothers and sisters running the city has gotten some folk upset and now Black leaders in Philadelphia are under the microscope. He was bugged, and probably still is, those who work under him are being scrutinized, and let's not forget about the muslim lady who was being investigated about some kind of glitch in funding for education programs she was involved in.

All of these people have one thing in common, something visual: they're Black. I think that has a lot to do with it. This is not the basis of where I stand at this point but it's something that I feel should be taken into consideration.

I still support him.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, you hit the nail on the head, man, when you said the system is set up to punish those who don't play the game as the set up is configured... Once you take strong positions, unorthodox positions, they'll come after you with a vengeance, and that's designed to keep folks in line, and witting participants in the game...

Destee, I think the Mayor of Chicago, the late Harold Washington, was a politician I loved and trusted... I think the late Mayor of Jersey City New Jersey, Glen Cunningham, was fast building a reputation as a strong, principled politician when death struck him down recently... He was, I believe, about 50 years old, and I am struck by the coincidence, the paralell, with himself and Harold Washington dying in office at fairly young ages(Washington was in his mid-60's), or when they were attaining great praise and admiration for their leadership... Both of these brothers were felled by heart attacks shortly after being re-elected, too... Obviously, they were under a great deal of stress and pressure to maintain order... Both being shrewd observers of the political landscape, I am certain they knew they were being inordinately scrutinized by police agencies, as well... Cunningham was, himself, a former cop, so I know the man knew he was being followed and meticulously scrutinized...

Here, in New York, my favorite politician of all-time, the late great Adam Clayton Powell is just a legend, and for many decades while he represented Harlem as it's elected congressmen, he also reppred for African Americans all over the country... In fact, so revered was he, that Congressmen Jose Serrano of the Bronx says he wrote Powell a letter while a servicemen, about being discriminated against by the Army, rather than his own Congressmen. He knew Powell would and could address that issue far more effectively than anyone else... The one statement about Powell that stands out in my mind, was Malcolm X statement that he'd "...retire if there were 10 more like him..." This Malcolm told Alex Haley in his Autobiography...

There's also, Alcee Hastings of Florida, Ronald Dellums of Oakland California, who're politicians I've admired over the years, as well as, John Conyers of Michigan, who sponsored the Reparations Bills in Congress... I, also, dig my man Charles Barron, former Black Panther, who now roams the City Council here in New York City... Brother is mad committed, and mad nuts if you let the White boys and their negroes tell it(smile!) We also lost a damned good man in Councilman James Davis, who was assassinated here last June... Strong, Committed brother, who ran and won as an independent, and thus had no one to answer to but himself and his constituents... In New York City, where the machine is as strong as it ever was in Chicago,(just more subtle) that was a major achievement for him... So why was he assassinated???(smile!) Didya think about it yet???

Overall, I think African people have to stop painting with the broad brush whenever one of ours is accused of corruption and wrong-doing... We should know that rarely does the "ALL" label fit anything or anyone... I mean, we say we are so conscious, but our behaviour belies that... Whenever White folks start making accusations against us, or one of us, we jump right on the bandwagon, and start being critical of that person... This means, that in the new millenium, we're still believing whatever these folks put out about us... That's sad...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    the Negroes in Philadelphia are not being targeted because they are Black.
    they are being targeted because they are corrupt.

i have lived here all my life and I've known and observed these people from the beginning.
    the mayor lives down the street from me.
    they are corrupt.

these are Negroes who started out good and then got a taste of power and could not handle it.
    they have done nothing for the community.

my test for a leader is not how many fine cars they can buy or how many women they can have.
    my test is how much can they improve conditions in the community.

they are corrupt.