Black Education / Schools : 10 Best-Paying Jobs for Associate Degrees

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by panafrica, Jun 2, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom...95a160c32441c8b934367f22ef5a49-202538900-TL-1

2. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    Great info. Yet, it seems that some Blacks in 2006 still question whether Black people should strive to get a college degree? (I see this confusion in some of the threads even on this site.) Could you help me to understand why there's any confusion about this.

I know that college is NOT for everybody, but in general, wouldn't our people be a LOT better off if we had more higher education? And--yes, even from the white man's educational institutions?

As far as I'm concerned, HIGHER EDUCATION needs to be a MAJOR push among us.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I can't answer why some people on here devalue the importance of education Bisabee, because I'm not one of them. I've always been a believer in education, especially community colleges which cover the 1st two years of college at a fraction of the cost. However I've recently changed focus on the purpose of higher education. I now encourage my students to go to college not simply with the goal of working for a white corporation, but to learn the skills necessary to launch their own companies. I especially give this perspective to young black males, who are the least likely to be employed in white owned companies regardless of their educational attainment.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Great article Pan

I am number 10.

10. Engineering technician -- $49,440
    Engineering technicians perform a variety of research- and development-related tasks, including building and setting up equipment, conducting experiments, collecting data and recording results. Employers prefer associate degrees in engineering technology, which are widely available at technical institutes.

With several years of experience and great opportunities to expand one can reach as much as $60,000 a year.

My son is entering college for electrical engineering this summer. I will show him some techniques and acronyms to help him recall formula's and stuff. I will also help him specialize in RF ( microwave communication ) , Fiber Optics, Satellite Communication and GPS. In addition I will get him certified as a technician or engineer. My education, tools and experience I will pass on to him will be more intense than the one he gets in college. They skim over a lot of these. I will take him indepth. Diversify people always diversify. When one aspect of the job market slumps, another comes up.

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have always suspected the root is from the past and the system of conditioning African Americans and the United States making it illegal for us to educate and learn during slavery. Imbedded genetically if you will.

I do know a lot we do ( and don't do ) today is rooted from that past.

6. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    all of those degrees go to waste( for us as a collective) if their is no collective unity across the world with our people.If their is unity than we really can use them,look at blackwallstreet for example.

7. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Anything medical inside hospitals and such seem to get many people especially women in the community employed. But even that is being torn apart with hiring nurses and such from abroad.