1 Meal a Day

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Nisa, May 14, 2005.

1. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I was wondering if any of the other members are following how to eat to live. I want to go back to eating one meal a day,just wondering if anyone knew some transition tips. Thanks

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    And I've been wondering if I've found the authentic how to eat to live book on line. It claims to be the full text of the book but there are some things in it I find hard to believe.

This version of the book tells us to avoid just about all green leafy vegetables but says that beef is okey. It also says to avoid sweet potatoes and green peas. Now the best split pea soup I ever had was in the Shabaaz restaurant in DC when I was a kid and I do remember the ubiquitous muslim evangelists on the corner their Final Call newsletters in one hand and a sweet potato pie in the other.

That's why I wonder about this on line version

http://www.seventhfam.com/temple/books/eattolive_one/eat1index.htm

3. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31

Sister you must have read wrong.about the vegetables and beef thing. Its a bean pie in the other hand sister :lol:,tastes like sweet potato pie..it's the Muslim alternative..yeeum I want a bean pie right now.Now the split pea thing, I dont really know about that too much sister,ill have to learn more about why its bad. Its the authentic version sis,because I have the book on the bookshelf too.

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I remember Elijah Muhammad saying collard greens and lima beans were bad for you as well as corn bread and some other "soul" foods.

But the "eating once a day" thing can be dangerous if you have serious medical problems like muscular dystrophy or diabetes.

Your body and brain need constant nurishment.

5. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    Split Peas aren't forbidden but they arent the best to eat.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes Nisa These Foods Are Forbidden

He even tells us not to eat too much spinack.

7. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE:

That is one reason why I don't totally adhere to the HTETL dietary perscription.

This is not to knock the Honorable Elijah Muhammad's (PBUH) teachings, but I feel that this was applicable for the Blacks during that time.

The more we learn and grow intellectually, the more we adopt greater enlightenment, and I sincerely feel that Elijah's mission was to prepare us for the Path.

Thus, as a vegetarian myself, there is very little of HTETL that can actually apply to my diet.

However, to answer NISA's Q: the practice of one meal a day has been most beneficial--whenever I apply it.

The times that I utilize it are fasts, travels and physical training regiments.

It has proven beneficial for all 3.

PEACE

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234

This is a given; As with Ramadan fasting, Elijah advised against the one meal if pre-existing health problems are an issue.

But that's not to say that one meal per day under normal, healthy conditions is the cause of such ailments.

That's not totally correct; the body stores much of the nutrients that it absorbs from food anyway.

Brief stints of one-meal regiments can actually help regulate the body's metabolic functions.

However, I personally am not an advocate of doing the one-meal regiment indefinitely.

PEACE

9. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    I'm still adjusting to eating one meal a day..i usually dont eat when im not hungry.Am i hungry right now..yes...but I need to run to the store and get some vegetables and things for dinner..might have a salad and some chik'n wings (gardenburger brand)..yeeum. I'll be good to go. Im a health nut lol..I also drink herbal teas or water if i get hungry..it'll give me enough boost until I eat (btwn 4 and 6 pm)..matter fact i think i'll make a cup of ginger lemon honey tea...(fresh grated ginger,with honey and a slice of lemon,add boiling water)...yeeum :weights:

10. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I guess people have to find a regime that helps them feel and be healthy and that may not be the same for everyone.

For me it's about reducing strain on my willpower. There's no way to completely eliminate the need for willpower but we don't have to tax it either

Waiting until I'm hungry to eat puts a tax on my willpower because the choices I make about what and how much to eat are affected by my natural drive. I'm likely to grab anything that will stop the growling queeziness in my stomach rather than take time to prepare a healthy balanced meal and of course my stomach is telling me that it needs much more than it actually does. So I try to eat at regular times.

The same is true about shopping on an empty stomach. It's not good for my diet or my purse.

If I eat one big meal I feel bloated and uncomfortable. Then a few hours later I'm' hungry again. Whereas if I eat several small meals a day I never feel overstuffed or ravenously hungry. The Daniel fast (no meat or dairy, whole grain breads and cereals, no sugar plenty of water fruits vegetables) for one week left me feeling so good and unable to bear even the smell of pork.

This is just what works for me and I'm not trying to proselytize it as something everyone should do.