Black People : 1 in 100 Now Behind Bars

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    1 in 100 Now Behind Bars; Numbers for Blacks and Latinos Bleak

Three decades of constant prison-population growth has pushed the United States over a new, unwelcome threshold. For the first time, more than one in every 100 Americans is incarcerated; however, for Blacks and Latinos, that number is significantly higher.

http://www.diversityinc.com/public/3148.cfm?gclid=COfUnovj7JECFQy1PAodtg8myw

:eek:

US Incarceration Rate Hits New High

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1718266,00.html

"For some groups, the incarceration numbers are especially startling," the report said. "While one in 30 men between the ages of 20 and 34 is behind bars, for black males in that age group the figure is one in nine."

The racial disparity for women also is stark. One of every 355 white women aged 35 to 39 is behind bars, compared with one of every 100 black women in that age group.

The nationwide figures, as of Jan. 1, include 1,596,127 people in state and federal prisons and 723,131 in local jails. That's out of almost 230 million American adults.

The report said the United States incarcerates more people than any other nation, far ahead of more populous China with 1.5 million people behind bars. It said the U.S. also is the leader in inmates per capita (750 per 100,000 people), ahead of Russia (628 per 100,000) and other former Soviet bloc nations which round out the Top 10.

:eek:

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    1 in 100...

while these numbers are startling and too high for a so-called civilized nation,and yes while there are also those behind bars who actually are innocent i ask you this..if those who are guilty had the opportunity to truly turn their lives around if enough rehabilitation programs were offered,how many would stay out of trouble for good and who would stray,the parole system in this country is a sad joke constantly releasing criminals back into society who are in no shape,manner or form ready to be back amoung law abiding folks the criminal justice system in america need a SERIOUS overhaul but how to do it is the answer and until such answer is found the numbers will increase.

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yawl still waiting for the round up to begin?

4. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yea, I know this cuz California has I think the most prison facilities in the country. Something like that. I know our taxes go a lot to the prison system and paying prison guards high wages. I read an article about how much prison guards were getting paid and all the leaves of absent that were taken off but goes untracked or sumptin.

Amazing, isn't it?

Much Love,
    Desert Storm

5. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    It is amazing to know some still believe 9/11 was an external terrorist act, and use this mis-information to continue terrorising the rest of the world. It is amazing is that 1 out of 100 in the USA are incarcerated. Terrorism within and terrorism without. hmrph. I shudder to think about it too deeply.

6. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Oh I feel you sister zulile,

Me and mom were watching this documentary about the prision system and the gangs within the prison system and the mafia in there as well. And all the things that they can still do within the prison system

I mean they were showing how the inmates could take a piece of cereal apart. I think it was Captain Crunch or something and put it back together with drugs in it and stuff and then they carry messages around in their buttocks and talk through the towletes and everything.

I was like wow! It was real organized and everything! Plus, they got all those books in their to read and stuff that tells you about everything underneath the sun. So they either use their education for good or evil.

I mean I was like, if these people can use their brains to do all this stuff in prison then their fully capable of running major businesses and corporations as well. I mean they even got down to this code system of reading letters that got top secret information on it with out getting found out! Anyways the list goes on and on.

Many blessings,
    Much Love,
    Desert Storm

7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    DesertStorm, oldiesman make some good points. for many jail time is the only option due to the severe lack of some very basic rehabilitation/educational centers which could change someones world.

an example - One good man can go into jail for bouncing checks, and come out knowing how to brew his own drugs... he shouldnt, of course - but once you have some jail time your job prospects are bleak.. it is a circle that feeds on itself.

Imagine that - jail time being an accepted norm - it is so easy to end up there.. surely that is a sign of a very sick society.

and the ratio!! Sister river is correct - the round up has begun. or better yet - never ended..

8. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    So Sad..........

Although the numbers seem high and startling, I am not at all surprised by those numbers. I'd even venture to say that the stats for blacks in the prison system may be higher than what is reported. IMO blacks go to prison and come out being a worse criminal than what they were when they went in. We also spend more time in prison for same crimes that other races commit. I too have relatives that have been shuffled in and out of the system.

The whole concept of "paying your debt to society" is such a joke. I'm sure there are those that have been through the system and want to come out and be a much more productive member of society, but their chances are slim to none of landing a decent job so what are they to do? They resort back to that life of crime and prison becomes a revolving door. It is very sad, but that is how things are and have always been. I see no improvement in sight, which is very frightening