Black People : “Don’t call me African” – Black America’s identity crisis

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
man-person-school-head-650x450.jpg

The current trends placing members of black America everywhere seem to be suggesting a deviation from the present label of African American. If you compare an article published in the New York Times in 1989 to a modern day article on the same subject, you will notice that what once was an acceptable title seems to be losing favor.

According to a 1989 New York Times article written by journalist Isabel Wilkerson, what was once seen as an empowering and liberating term advocated by the Rev. Jesse Jackson and black academics to describe a population who throughout history has seen more name changes than any other, is now seen as an inaccurate description for encompassing the true essence of the black experience.

The argument suggests that the desire for a less ambiguous label than “black” or “American” comes from the desire to include all members of the African diaspora by simply respecting their claim to the title “African.” It would seem erroneous to suggest – according to a commentary by John H. Mcwhorter on the differences between black and African American identity – that a group of people who have lived in North America for over 400 years, versus people who actually immigrate from Africa, should be given the same descriptive label.

The reasoning stems from a belief that there are only echoes of Africa in modern day black America.

Read more

http://fiusm.com/2016/03/01/dont-call-me-african-black-americas-identity-crisis/

The current trends placing members of black America everywhere seem to be suggesting a deviation from the present label of African American. If you compare an article published in the New York Times in 1989 to a modern day article on the same subject, you will notice that what once was an acceptable title seems to be losing favor.

According to a 1989 New York Times article written by journalist Isabel Wilkerson, what was once seen as an empowering and liberating term advocated by the Rev. Jesse Jackson and black academics to describe a population who throughout history has seen more name changes than any other, is now seen as an inaccurate description for encompassing the true essence of the black experience.

The argument suggests that the desire for a less ambiguous label than “black” or “American” comes from the desire to include all members of the African diaspora by simply respecting their claim to the title “African.” It would seem erroneous to suggest – according to a commentary by John H. Mcwhorter on the differences between black and African American identity – that a group of people who have lived in North America for over 400 years, versus people who actually immigrate from Africa, should be given the same descriptive label.

The reasoning stems from a belief that there are only echoes of Africa in modern day black America.

Read more

http://fiusm.com/2016/03/01/dont-call-me-african-black-americas-identity-crisis/

I read the article in its entirety, and I thought it very interesting that the author did not mention the fact that W.E.B. Dubois, a johnny-come-lately to PanAfrikanism, denounced the "Talented Tenth" concept, renounced his U.S. citizenship at the ripe old age of 90+, and relocated to Ghana (West Afrika) where he died and is buried! Dubois said that "the only thing the Talented Tenth was talented at was imitating Europeans". His words, not mind. Lol Malcolm X said that "the most criminal thing you can do is teach a man to hate himself". Self-hatred was bred and beaten into the psyche of our enslaved ancestors back in the day. Today more subtle methods are used, e.g., brain washing and indoctrination thru the media and public, private, and religious schools. There are those among us who will die hating themselves and the roots of their origins. Malcolm X also taught that "you can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. Because the tree springs from the roots. You can't hate the roots of your origins Afrika, and not hate yourself..". Common sense right? Be advised that common sense ain't all that common!!! Afrikans who want to be successful (rich and/or famous) in the white world, must sell their soul to the devil, and deny their ethnic identity. And just like the Europeans they want to be like, are unable to form close interpersonal relationships, and are miserable and unhappy, even with all of that fame and fortune. I pity those who never learn how sweet it is to be Afrikan!
James Brown
21 hrs

WHAT A TRULY SUPERB POST!

[QUOTE="sekou kasimu, post: 944792, member: 36241" I read the article in its entirety, and I thought it very interesting that the author did not mention the fact that W.E.B. Dubois, a johnny-come-lately to PanAfrikanism, denounced the "Talented Tenth" concept, renounced his U.S. citizenship at the ripe old age of 90+, and relocated to Ghana (West Afrika) where he died and is buried!

Dubois said that "the only thing the Talented Tenth was talented at was imitating Europeans". His words, not mind. Lol

Malcolm X said that "the most criminal thing you can do is teach a man to hate himself".

Self-hatred was bred and beaten into the psyche of our enslaved ancestors back in the day.

Today more subtle methods are used, e.g., brain washing and indoctrination thru the media and public, private, and religious schools.

There are those among us who will die hating themselves and the roots of their origins.

Malcolm X also taught that "you can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. Because the tree springs from the roots. You can't hate the roots of your origins Afrika, and not hate yourself..". Common sense right?

Be advised that common sense ain't all that common!!! Afrikans who want to be successful (rich and/or famous) in the white world, must sell their soul to the devil, and deny their ethnic identity.

And just like the Europeans they want to be like, are unable to form close interpersonal relationships, and are miserable and unhappy, even with all of that fame and fortune.

I pity those who never learn how sweet it is to be Afrikan!

James Brown
21 hrs

/QUOTE]
treszapotes3.jpg

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

[QUOTE="Liberty, post: 944746, member: 56013"

Read more

http://fiusm.com/2016/03/01/dont-call-me-african-black-americas-identity-crisis/ /QUOTE]
Would YOU and yours all assist with regard to projecting and promoting an agenda I have been actively pursuing at our Saturday Schools in London of teaching an updated with the TRUTH African centred History curriculum based on the books/works listed below, which could/would within 20 years reprogram with rationally focused intelligence our people generally, and even more critically a whole generation of our youth/future in the 21st century?

SHOULDN'T ALL OF OUR SCHOOLS in general, especially the traditionally Black Schools in the UK, USA the rest of the Diaspora and very definitely in Africa in particular be teaching our own truthfully updated History Curriculum; highlighting our so diverse but very very efficiently marginalized or totally ignored by the current status quo contributions to Civilization in every area of human activity over the last 5000 years?

Isn’t reprogramming the minds of the people of African ethnicity with our TRUE history [as unearthed, researched and published by our own historians] as a truly superlative therapy for the so all pervasive residual trauma of the ongoing African HOLOCAUST instigated and orchestrated by our White/Semitic enemies [for which both an apology and reparations are STILL missing TODAY, aren't THEY] for millennia continuing to generate murderous chaos in our communities and countries in the 21st century?

The Destruction of African Civilisation (Chancellor Williams), and Blacks in Science (Ancient & Modern), They Came before Columbus The African Presence in Ancient America (Ivan van Sertima), Nile Vallely Contributions to Civilisation and the Browder Files I & II (Anthony T Browder) are all interesting and uplifting books that will fully update your knowledge of African history, along with being the ready-made textbooks of our updated African History Curriculum.

Our spiritual/intellectual heavyweights can attempt [the deceased in December 2015] Dr Frances Cress Welsing’s book The Isis Papers-The Key to the Colours, which is an in depth analysis of Racism and White Supremacy and all the relevant Symbols that pervades every aspect of our lives. She literally puts forward a program at the end of the book as to how to limit the damage done to us collectively as we attempt to survive in this blatantly hostile White Supremacist Racist environment.

Yurugu [An African Centred Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behaviour] by Marimba Ani is the ultimate rigorous Spiritual and Intellectual workout, which literally leaves no stone unturned in it microscopic examination/dissection of white Europeans/Caucasians and their psyche’s ongoing malevolence [towards the rest of the human family in general, peoples of African ethnicity specifically], due to the fundamentally warped Platonic concept of “Objectivity” blended with Plato’s higher mind/limbic brain spiritually/intellectually alienated drivel; through which THEY consciously discern themselves to be the head/brains of Humanity relegating the rest of the human family into “OBJECTS” to be controlled/culled as they see fit, as opposed to being entitled to the same rights and privileges to enjoy their lives and prosper, as Europeans.

Yurugu-as defined by the Dogon of Mali = a being born prematurely without his female twin-soul. Realizing that he was flawed and therefore deficient, forever incomplete, who was and is doomed to perpetually search for completeness that could never be his.

How do the Dogon know so much about just how fundamentally twisted/unwell the LUCIFERIAN LUNATICS/POWER ELITE/status quo who are currently so determined to turn this planet into a very real hell in the 21st century, are?

Marimba Ani’s Yurugu would serve as a ready-made textbook for Advanced Level African Studies right up to Doctorate level, as this extremely challenging read is that comprehensive and relevant with regard to rationally evaluating/knowing exactly how our enemies are going to behave as standard in this very hostile, extremely challenging environment.

Would you ALL agree that there is a mountain of useful information that we peoples of African ethnicity in general, our would be leaders and leaders specifically need to ingest and digest if we’re going to even begin to deduce how to constructively develop ourselves and our communities in order to kick start the African Renaissance in the 21st century?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

I'm black, I'm African.

How can I deny my affiliation to a people that I look like?

IMO, this is the result of what made us who we were being stripped from us as slaves. And that type of assault has been heaped on us every since.

Also, many of us are troubled and confused, like this poor soul.

‘The Guardian’ Writer Explains Why He ‘Hates Being A Black Man’
He writes: “I can honestly say I hate being a black male. Although black people like to wax poetic about loving their label I hate ‘being black.’ I just don’t fit into a neat category of the stereotypical views people have of black men. In popular culture black men are recognized in three areas: sports, crime, and entertainment. I hate rap music, I hate most sports, and I like listening to rock music such as PJ Harvey, Morrissey, and Tracy Chapman. I have nothing in common with the archetypes about the black male.”
http://newsone.com/2768891/orville-lloyd-douglas-self-hatred/

A few things to note about this brutha:
1. His reasons are baseless. Music doesn't define your race, many black (and I'm one of them ) listens to rock, and pop music.

2. He condemns one archetype, just to embrace one that looks nothing like him.

3. His lack of self knowledge. We are the originals, we are the archetype.

While I and many others love themselves, we have to remember everybody is not in the same place mental wise....

(Sista Destee taught me that:donttell:)

Peace!

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back