Black People : “Don’t call me African” – Black America’s identity crisis

I'm black, I'm African.

http://newsone.com/2768891/orville-lloyd-douglas-self-hatred/

A few things to note about this brutha:
1. His reasons are baseless. Music doesn't define your race, many black (and I'm one of them ) listens to rock, and pop music.

2. He condemns one archetype, just to embrace one that looks nothing like him.

3. His lack of self knowledge. We are the originals, we are the archetype.

While I and many others love themselves, we have to remember everybody is not in the same place mental wise....

(Sista Destee taught me that:donttell:)

Peace!

[/QUOTE]

Nice post

I believe "Black" is just a race. "African-American" is our attempt to establish a nationality. I prefer it because it links me to Africa. Nationalities are important. Having a land base to anchor to, is what gives a people power. If you are Chinese-American, something goes down, China has your back. We don't know exactly what country we originate from, so we identify with the whole continent. And, we are trying to build a connection with the continent.

I identify myself as an African-American. But, internally, I am STILL African. But, it confuses people when I say I am African. African is the dominant gene, and the gene that I relate to. I also relate to what Kwame Nkrumah said:

"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me."
At the time, when Jesse first popularized the term African-American, there weren't many Africans from the continent here. Now, we have many Africans from the continent. So, it may be considered complicated, if you want to go there. But I don't think it should. I think I should establish unity between us. What does it matter if you left African yesterday or 400 years ago? Are we not still brothers and sisters? Are we falling for the ole divide and conquer?

I'm Black. Not African. Yes my ancestors came from Africa, but they came from other places too. Also... Since life started in Africa... Everybody is from Africa. Africa is a continent not a country.There are heavily melaninated people on ALL continents. When I had my DNA analyzed, it turns out I'm from several African countries in addition to the Asian and European countries.

I identify as an American... But America likes to qualify that.

I never had my DNA analyzed or did he geneolgy thing, and I never will. Cuz I know what's gonna fall out of that family tree, and I'd rather not acknowledge it. My Great-Grandmother lived to be 102, her Mother was a slave until she was 5 years old. She told me a lot about our family, but she never mentioned the ofays. Our history, let her tell it, started after them.

I'm Black. Not African. Yes my ancestors came from Africa, but they came from other places too. Also... Since life started in Africa... Everybody is from Africa. Africa is a continent not a country.There are heavily melaninated people on ALL continents. When I had my DNA analyzed, it turns out I'm from several African countries in addition to the Asian and European countries.

I identify as an American... But America likes to qualify that.

Everyone has the right to identify as they see fit. I must say, from what I know of you from posting with you, I am surprised by your position. No shade... I respect your opinions. Could you elaborate on why you feel so strongly against being labeled African or African-American?

I can see why this subject confuses light skinned or non-dark complexion people of color.

Black is a color, and is based on the idea of contrasting against white.
Let me refine the last statement...

Black and white are not colors, they are at opposing ends of the color spectrum

RGB

So what is established is a conflict of decided what spectrum one belongs to.

Some desire to avoid this pre-established conflict, and focus on nationality.
African-American is not a nationality, just looking at it is obviously conflicting and confusing.

Pan-African or Pan-American maybe a better use of the plurality while claiming one particular nation.

Going back to the "Black" moniker, the "Brown" moniker in contrast is just as confusing in a sense.
Many brown skin complexion blacks would claim to be "Black".
But should many of the dark skin complexion "spanish" be considered "Brown"?

http://whatistherightcolor.tumblr.com/

Guess which is considered "African" and which on is not

View attachment 5148

Black or White?

Do Africans claim to be Africans, or do they represent the country, village or township they are from?
Or do they refer to the tribal language they speak as their ethnici

I disagree. Just recently a few "tragic mulattoes" and "Cablasions", etc., have begun to emerge, as if they invented something new. Angela Davis wasn't confused. Kathleen Cleaver wasn't confused. Back in the day, there wasn't any confusion about who was Black and who wasn't.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back