Black Entertainment : ‎what you think of (BookofNegroes)‬

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by $$RICH$$, Feb 16, 2015.

1. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,183
    [​IMG]
    Take a few minutes to explore this stunning interactive timeline about ‪the book{ http://t.co/806YIEhPnH }} (premieres at 8P|7c)

Show Time on BET ...Feb 16, 17 & 18 at 8P/7C who will be watching it ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Inspection Roll of Negroes, commonly referred to as the Book of Negroes, is a record that is not widely known, but will soon be.
    During Black History Month, Black Entertainment Television (BET) will air a three-part miniseries based on the novel "The Book of Negroes (or Someone Knows My Name)" by Lawrence Hill. The novel and miniseries tells the story of Aminata Diallo, a fictional character whose life is changed because of this historical document.
    The Book of Negroes i...s actually a set of two ledgers that lists the names, ages, and descriptive information of about 3,000 enslaved African Americans, indentured servants, and freedmen that were evacuated from the United States along with British soldiers at the conclusion of the American Revolution.
    You can see more of the document here: http://research.archives.gov/description/5890797
    ‪#‎BET‬ ‪‪‪‪‪#‎freedom‬ ‪#‎revolutionaryWar‬ ‪#‎LawrenceHill

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,543

Here's some information on it bro. $$RICH$$, presently, I'm behind on TV and Movie watching, but it is on my list to see and do:

The Book of Negroes : The Document - The Novel - The Mini-Series
    Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Oct 15, 2014

http://destee.com/index.php?threads...the-document-the-novel-the-mini-series.81822/

Black People : - The Book of Negroes : The Document - The Novel - The Mini-Series

[MEDIA] The Document The Book of Negroes is a historical document which records names and descriptions of 3,000 African-American slaves who escaped to...
    destee.com

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,643
    i have no interest in looking at black people as slaves. yeah, i know it happened.
    i have no interest in seeing it. this is the type of stuff that promotes low self esteem.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,183
  5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,543

Same here bro. $RICH$, I'm enjoying catching up on a bit of history not well recorded or documented in the Forums. Aminata does that for me in her role of becoming what she desired to be, a griot.

Cuba plays a strategic role as well, as Sam, the Jamaican just as shrewd as Marcus Garvey had to be in his decision making. Overall, its good stuff that is good to know.

6. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    When Eye first posted this topic back in December Eye thought the topic newsworthy.

Thx 4 the refresh

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,543

Good deal Fine1952 ... Below is something even older than your Thread and oldsoul's ... Our Archives is the gift that keeps on giving:

Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa...
    Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by cherryblossom, Jan 21, 2013

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/sierra-leone-and-the-slaves-who-returned-to-africa.74651/

Sierra Leone : - Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa...

Founding of Sierra Leone: Sierra Leone’s founding dates back to 1787 when several waves of freed black settlers originating from England, Nova...
    destee.com

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,485
    Peace

Isnt it the same old story, with a new title when our people react to the injustice done and still being done to u s?

I haven't watched it and will not because it's only purpose is to sublimially keep you docile.

no!

When's the last time a movie, or mini series came out about black astronomers, physicians, physicists, scientists, or mathematicians?

Don't answerc it's a trick question. But, why is it a trick question, is the answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,643
    :11100:that is what i'm waiting for......

10. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,026
    Hello Clyde:

Although Eye found Cherry Blossoms’ reference to Sierre Leone to be quite rich in content. I found no reference to “Book Of Negroes” in that post.

Our collective history has always been greater than the short references to slavery such as the topic at hand: “Book Of Negroes” and as such, Eye am one of those Black women who will always embrace the good, bad and ugly about slavery –as part of my own healing process, while Eye keep in mind the fact that “By the time the world woke up to claim greatness, the Africans had done all the greatest things.” – (Page 230 –African Who Wrote The Bible by Dr. Alex Darkwah).

I digress.

Now getting back to the subject at hand. What Eye found most interesting was the fact that the Canadian writer’s novel --originally entitled “Book of Negroes”-- was later changed to “Somebody knows my Name” because the Canadian writer discovered that the US has a different take on the word n-e-g-r-o than does Canada and in order to appease the American, Black audience ---thus changed the name.

Thx for responding.

PS Eye checked 'similar threads' and found no reference that Old Soul presented a thread on this topic.