THE NEW JIM CROW QUIZ
Michelle Alexander, Civil rights advocate and teacher has written a book called The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
Shortly after slavery ended many states in the North & South came up with black Codes and Jim Crow laws. These laws segregated blacks in hotels, public transportation, Housing, educational opportunities and employment. It created a color caste system where black unemployment, debt, family instability, violence, vagrancy and drug use would deteriorate the black community.
Michelle’s premise that Mass incarceration of Black people by branding criminal felony on state computer files gives the Criminal justice system legal justification to do what Jim Crow laws did to blacks from 1865-1965 (post slavery era). Jim Crow laws controlled blacks by Sharecropping, peonage. Illiteracy test and poll tax to vote and Convict-lease work programs where inmate couldn’t get out of debt to his jailer or private employer.
1. Mass incarceration is a tool to give a rebirth to old Jim Crow laws, codes, customs?
True or false.
2. Majority of blacks in prison for possession of Drugs not violent Kingpins or significant selling of Drugs? True or false
3. Jim Crow is a beast functioning on racial control not Crime control? True or False
4. Criminal records for drug offenders are banned from Food stamps, public Housing, Educational opportunities and employment? True or false.
5. 1850 population of slaves is the same as black inmate population in 2010? True or false
6. Prison corporation buy and sell on the stock market? True or false
7. Joblessness is number #1 predictor of violence
8. President Reagan war on drugs in 1982 predated the Crack epidemic by 3 years? T/F
9. 18-25 average age of black youth on parole, probation or prison and is unlikely to get married even if they fall in Love? True or False
10. Drug violations can affect future Student loans to college? True or false
11. Mass lock up is a birdcage to subordinate you to second lass citizenship. Dont be a jailbird in their cage of slavery by using or selling dope.-Mr Austin